How to write a good biology lab report.

Mahuta ♥

Really now? If you say so, I just wanted to point that out to people who define 'better' as obtaining a high grade and spending less time.

BTW in the CE you need to compare the literature value with obtained value and compare the difference with the errors. Anyone who doesn't do this will be getting a 1/2 max for 'evaluating procedure'.

Really now? If you say so, I just wanted to point that out to people who define 'better' as obtaining a high grade and spending less time.

BTW in the CE you need to compare the literature value with obtained value and compare the difference with the errors. Anyone who doesn't do this will be getting a 1/2 max for 'evaluating procedure'.

I know that it is good to have a comparison between the difference in lit. Value and your value, but i don't think that it is a "must' since IB knows that some labs like enzyme or reaction activity has no lit. value.

• Like 1

Why are you being so offensive about this again? You don't want to include a hypothesis..just don't add one. Simple as that.

As for CE, that's not something you must do. I asked a biology teacher( an IB examiner) about it back then and he said I don't have to include that and people got almost perfect grades without including it too. Once again, you want to include..just include. Simple as that. You don't have to be so tacky about it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

hi, I'm doing my first design for IB HL biology and I would like to know how to reference sources I used, e.g. wikipedia?

thanks

I know precisely nothing about about the IB biology course but i can say... don't reference Wikipedia. It's not really a well respected source because it's an open source website.

If you're on word you can create footnotes by pressing Ctrl + Alt + F

hi, I'm doing my first design for IB HL biology and I would like to know how to reference sources I used, e.g. wikipedia?

thanks

I used http://www.easybib.com/ for every single one of my essays and I found it to be extremely helpful. I actually didn't even have to bother about references! It does the work for you. Hope it helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I am in the middle of revising an I.A., and I was wondering if it's possible to be TOO anal about the I.A.? Like, do I need to go crazy with grammar and sig figs?

Also, while on the topic of sig figs and uncertainties, if I have a number like 128.53 ± .01, should I have 3 sig figs, or should I go two places past the decimal?

Hi, I am in the middle of revising an I.A., and I was wondering if it's possible to be TOO anal about the I.A.? Like, do I need to go crazy with grammar and sig figs?

Also, while on the topic of sig figs and uncertainties, if I have a number like 128.53 ± .01, should I have 3 sig figs, or should I go two places past the decimal?

If you are able to make it error-free in terms of grammar, why not? There is no criteria specifying that the grammar needs to be this and that, or sig figures need to be this or that (have to check about the latter), not from what I recall at least. That being said, our teachers always insisted that our values need to be to 3 sig fig, unless it's like an apparatus measurement, in that case, it needs to be to the same decimal places/sig figures as the error. For example the table on pg. 1, see how all the values are to the same decimal places as the error stated at the top? So for the example you gave up, you go with 2 decimal places.

• 4 weeks later...

Do I need to include the uncertainty of a cork borer? If so, how would I calculate it?

You don't have to put uncertainty for cork borer of course. You need to put uncertainties for pieces of apparatus that are used for measuring (for example balances, pipettes, measuring cylinders etc.) Usually uncertainties are marked at the piece of equipment , if they are not than you calculate it by dividing the smallest unit of measuring apparatus by 2.

Putting uncertainty for something like cork borer would be just like putting uncertainty for spatula - absurd and silly :D

• 2 weeks later...

This is really informative- thanks! Just a question- I have had conflicting direction on how to structure a research question. I am doing my first prac report at the moment, by the way. Is it better to keep the research question generic, ie What is the effect of changing the surface area of a membrane on the rate of diffusion? and then specify the type of cell and solute which will be used in the prac later on (in method) or is it better to have the research question being specific: What is the effect of changing the surface area of a potato cell on the rate of diffusion of a sodium solute?

Thanks for the help!

• Like 1

Thanks for the very informative text :) Just wanted to add for the Design: I don't know it its the same for all you guys but my biology teacher always requires us to explain, why a variable is constant or independent/dependent. For instance: the temperature was held constant at room temperature as changes in the solution would lead to unreliable data, as the enzyme reaction is affected by changes in temperature...

• 2 weeks later...

Well...I'm doing an IA on the effects of browning in banana slices and I tested the browning with Coca-Cola, white vinegar, lemon juice, and soy sauce. I'm wondering if I need to do one more test.

One more thing: how do you use the pH strips? Do we compare the colors after it has dried or while the pH paper is still wet?