Magician by Miranda, Gary

kun227

The magician here very much acts like a seductive force to the reader; the sleight of hand trick that he mentions is paralleled by the (over)use of enjambment and caesura. What the poem's theme though comes in deciphering the last stanza, which I'm too tired to do. Figuring out a poet's thoughts on spacetime and seduction is not possible with my 1am mental state.

It truly is seductive, like proletariat said... it almost seemed erotic to me the first time I read it. He makes magic seem so intense, so profound. The "pulling", the motions of the hands. And he calls the audience unobservant, because they are trying to figure out his trick by the spatial surroundings, not his timing. He is too swift for them. He's not stuffing away the item into his pocket without you noticing, he putting the item away in the past. When you think he's performing the trick and you are looking to discover it, he has already finished. Therefore, it is in the past.

If I were to interpret, and i am not necessarily correct, I would say that the poem is about the trance of magic, and the inobservance of human nature. When reading the poem, somehow I began to read it quickly, just like his trick are quick. that says something about the structure. Each line flows from one to another, there are not periods at the end of any of the lines, they just keep going.

I could go on and on... but is this a good starter?

• Like 1