Yearbook Ideas

Negin

Three of my friends and I took up the challenge of making the high school yearbook as one of our C.A.S projects this year, and so far we've got it surprisingly under control (or I'm just taking it way too easy, the other three are panicking at how little time we have left to get everything done; we have until the end of March). The only problem is that it's a little too short, despite how much school-related content we've already crammed in there.

So does anyone have any suggestions? Even something they could borrow from their own high school yearbook, or any yearbook? Just an idea for something we could do as a random page, like a page of poems or quotes (though we did those two already, so give me something else :D ). Suggestions are welcome, and we're all kinda crazy, so wild suggestions are even better! ;)

Alright, I'm assuming you've already covered random shots of students from each grade, candid caption shots, and "Most likely to..." etc.

In our yearbook, we also have surveys with random questions, like "Would you rather...this or that..." and we distribute them to everybody we can! We also do a "time capsule" type page, where we cover all of the huge news events, whether it be a murder trial or a world record, trends of the year, celebrity break through of the year, etc. You can also pick a few kids from each grade, and get them to write up something on the year, like how a freshman feels about his first year at high school, or how a senior feels about graduating. After all of that, you can just put student art or poetry etc. as filler.

Here are some ideas:

1. A mosaic page with lots of photos taken at various times of the year...you can make it 4 pages even.

2. A quote from the graduating class, each member...underneath their photos.

3. A diary of memorable events. Timeline...whatever

4. Manuscripts? Like very good poems submitted by students.

5. Interviews with various club leaders, teachers, students, principal.

• 3 months later...

I'm the editor of my yearbook as well. We did 2 page spreads for each big event.. musical, semi formals, launch weeek, holidays, etc. which really filled up a lot of pages. I also made a 2 page spread for each grade 1 page for a collage of students from that grade and 1 page of text explaining the pros and cons of that grade. We also had a 2 page spread for volunteering efforts of the school, student council, 4 pages for staff. If teachers retire or someone dies you can do a memorium to them as well which is nice. The time capsule is included from our yearbook company.

How many hours have you accumulated for CAS of yearbook? Is it only creativity or are you counting it as service as well?

• 1 month later...

Looking through my brother's yearbook, I saw some pretty cool stuff:

-Polls (on a variety of things! Like music, movies, hobbies, and even politics.)

-A section on fashion trends and examples of trendy students.

You could also do some other things...

-If your school doesn't have a lit. magazine, you could publish the best student poetry and short stories? Perhaps even some artwork?

-Perhaps a few pages dedicated to "teachers through the years." Students like to see what their teachers looked like as babies, teenagers, as prom dates, etc.

Good luck.