Facebook? Help please!

ImEmmy

Greetings fellow IBers!

I've been having trouble with wording my knowledge issue correctly. I want the topic to be the use of information and communication technology and its impact on social interaction. My real life situation would be Facebook addiction or something like that, how all of us practically depend on facebook and texting for social interaction. So far my knowledge issue goes something like this: To what extent does the use of information and communication technology limit or enhance social interaction? or limit or enhance language in social interaction? My teacher says I should incorporate ways of knowing directly into my question, however I dont think they HAVE to be. Language and perception and maybe even emotion still play into my knowledge issue no matter if I mention them or not :D

Im a bit lost :angry: I would really like some help. What else can I talk about? Maybe the situation in the middle east and how they used social networks to organize protests and outings? Obama and YouTube? Im a bit all over the place right now.

Thank you in advance for your help!!

Hi,

Let me try to help you out. In your presentation, you should have a knowledge issue. This is a very general question that creates a discussion to do with how we obtain out knowledge. That question which you have mentioned is not a knowledge issue, it is a topic which has knowledge issue in it i.e. that is your real life example (which I think is great!). The knowledge issue here would go along the lines of how language limits our ability to communicate efficiently and or emotionally. (I do not think perception comes into this, remember that perception is sense perception i.e. smell, taste, touch ect.)

So your knowledge issue would go along the lines of 'What are the limitations of language as a way of knowing?' Then you bring in your real life example of facebook ect. The knowledge issue is to do with language because that is the way we communicate electronically. You can talk about the misinterpretation of messages or the use of acronyms. Can you detect the tone of the person when they express themselves in writing (sarcasm is a good example).

Basically you are on the right track, it is just stating your knowledge issue (a general question) then brining in your communication argument, personal experience ect. later on.

Hope this helped and good luck!

could you give me some other real life examples where language is limited and acts as a hinderance to communication? I have some but I think Im going to have trouble expanding on them :/

Well this is your presentation, so you have to use your own personal examples. Why don't you give me what you've got so far so we can see where we can expand on? Think of incidents where you didn't express yourself clearly because of somthing or where you've misinterpreted something because of a certain factor, those are usually the best examples to use.

• 1 month later...

Hey,

I was also thinking about the idea of social networking/facebook and its adverse impacts on children, for example, cyber bullying. But the thing is, I'm not too sure what my knowledge issues are for this. I thought that one of the areas of knowledge which may be affected would be science, cause children may not be mature enough to know what to post up or what to say and the brain only fully develops at 21. But the thing is, I'm not too sure about it. A little help?

Hey,

I was also thinking about the idea of social networking/facebook and its adverse impacts on children, for example, cyber bullying. But the thing is, I'm not too sure what my knowledge issues are for this. I thought that one of the areas of knowledge which may be affected would be science, cause children may not be mature enough to know what to post up or what to say and the brain only fully develops at 21. But the thing is, I'm not too sure about it. A little help?

i'm not quite sure if what i'll say is valid, but you can also talk about language, you can prove this by showing how kids learn to txt speak on facebook at a very early age. my little sister started abbreviating her sentences, and her writing is awful. at some point she might stop to write words as they are. so instead of them writing like this they would be writing using:

U=YOU

WAT=WHAT

OMG=OH MY GOD

LOL=LAUGH OUT LOUD.

also, you can talk about history, and bring in ways you communicate with in the old times and now.

AND, YES. science is a good thing, your examples are valid. :) just elaborate and explain on them, and you will be fine.

i'm sorry this is all i can think of right now. my MAY exam preparations are affecting me.

Edited by pumkinns