Course Choices

sweet_tanjarine

Umm since I am in the Pre IB, I have to pick subjects for next year. I was thinking of taking A1 English SL, A2 Danish B HL, Chemistry HL, Mathematics HL, Physics SL, and Psychology SL to be in the medical field. In Denmark you need Chemistry HL, Physics SL, and Mathematics HL, and Danish HL or Danish B HL... but how about in the universities in US? does it matter what you take in high school or does it only matter what you take in university? Because in Denmark you already have to have specific subjects for the career you are interested in. Like if you wanted to be an engineer you need all the science courses of course or if you wanted to be a lawyer you would need humanities and mathematics...

It's really frusterating that every university has different demands. I tried speaking to my counsellor but he only knows about the universities in Denmark....

I was thinking of taking a 7th class of Biology if it was necessary, but I have actually already had Biology honours so I don't know if I need it. I am also told that history is important abroad? I have already had world history AP sooo I hope I wouldn't have to have history class again.

I am so certain on having english, danish, mathematics and chemistry, I just keep rethinking of changing psychology to history or physics to SL or high level or have biology SL or HL...

If I could have all (except history!!), then I would, although I also want to enjoy myself outside IB.

Umm since I am in the Pre IB, I have to pick subjects for next year. I was thinking of taking A1 English SL, A2 Danish B HL, Chemistry HL, Mathematics HL, Physics SL, and Psychology SL to be in the medical field. In Denmark you need Chemistry HL, Physics SL, and Mathematics HL, and Danish HL or Danish B HL... but how about in the universities in US?

in the US i am pretty sure it doesn't matter. i am going into college one credit short of being a sophmore because of IB, but it the classes that you take in college that will get you your degree. credits taht transfer in are considered as gen eds.

does that make sence?

Depending on whether or not the University you want to go to has a website or not (which it most likely will), you could just check the website and see what you need to take. Most Uni websites have a course requirements page, and if you don't know the website just Google the University.

Good luck! XD

Should you want to study medicine in the UK, I'd definitely recommend you have Biology HL. Physics is not required there, but it's useful. So if it's possible, and you feel like you could/want to do it, take three sciences and seven subjects. Or drop psychology - you shouldn't need that for med school, and then only do six subjects. It normally isn't allowed, but you can apply for a non-regulatory diploma and say you want to study medicine in Sweden/Finland - then they'll allow it. (Obviously you don't have to go to Sweden/Finland, just tell the IB you want to XD )

Oh, and do you mean Danish A2 HL or Danish B HL?

It normally isn't allowed, but you can apply for a non-regulatory diploma and say you want to study medicine in Sweden/Finland - then they'll allow it. (Obviously you don't have to go to Sweden/Finland, just tell the IB you want to XD )

Oh, and do you mean Danish A2 HL or Danish B HL?

:D I wish our school allowed that.

Anyways, what deissi says sounds reasonable and a good idea but only if you are ready to work hard of course for it :) The good thing is if you decide where you want to go to study medicine (if that is what you want).

For example - In the US, you don't usually need all the sciences. For medicine, you can major in ANY kind of subject first in college (arts, english, biology, psy, socio, chemistry, etc etc) as long as you fullfill the required course requirements that the med school will require (involves physic, organic chem, bio and some others) and usually that comes together with the major you choose if you go for the pre-med option. Then you do the MCAT and apply for medicine (graduate school)

Sweden - You need all three sciences but SL is enough.

UK - Differs between the unis but from what I have seen, most universities require Chemistry HL. Then it differs if they want Bio HL/SL or Physics HL/SL. Many says 'chemistry HL plus another science' while others want Bio at least at SL, preferrebly at HL.

If you are interested in medicine then I suggest you check out this thread :)

Edited by deissi
corrected the spelling on my name :D -deissi

In thinking of studying medicine in the UK but my school doesnt offer HL Biology or Phsycis. What would I do? Just take AP Physics and AP Biology?

You should check with the different universities for this. I know some won't accept the US High School Graduation Diploma on its own but will accept AP or IB classes and etc. Others will only accept graduate entry so to be on the safe side, hand pick the universities you are interested in and contact them about this.

Thanks guys for the advice so far... is it possible to replace Humanities group with Biology? We had a counsellor tell us we could not. She is only our temporary counsellor for this year because our previous one just had a baby! I don't trust everything she says. I heard some people were able to replace humanities group.

Is there anyone here that has 7 classes? 4 HL? What is it like exactly?

Thanks guys for the advice so far... is it possible to replace Humanities group with Biology? We had a counsellor tell us we could not. She is only our temporary counsellor for this year because our previous one just had a baby! I don't trust everything she says. I heard some people were able to replace humanities group.

Is there anyone here that has 7 classes? 4 HL? What is it like exactly?

Like I said, to get rid of humanities, you can apply for a non-regulatory diploma from the IBO. You'll need a reason for this, so you can state that you want to study medicine in Finland or Sweden.