Chemistry Internal Assessment Resources and Guide

dessskris

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm writing my 3rd chemistry report and I want it to be good (this is for the DCP). So here's my question: do I propagate the results and show the calculations? If so, do I talk about them or do I leave that until the Conclusion and Evaluation? Also how would I display the uncertainties... in brackets next to the manipulated data or as a separate table showing the uncertainty on each piece of equipment?

I ask this because I read something on the internet which confused me: When the internal assessment criteria are applied to investigations, the issues of errors and uncertainties must be interpreted. You need to be able to make statements about the minimum uncertainty, based on the least significant figure in a measurement, and can also make statements about the manufacturer's claim of accuracy. You must be able to estimate uncertainties in compound measurements, and make educated guesses about uncertainties in the method of measurement. If uncertainties are small enough to be ignored, the candidate should note this fact. Higher level candidates should also be able to express uncertainties as fractions and as percentages. They should also be able to propagate uncertainties through a calculation. Please refer to the handout “Errors and Uncertainties” for some specific examples of the propagation of errors.

Source: http://web.me.com/dbyrum/Ris/Resources/page29/files/IB_LabReport.pdf

Thanks (whoever answers) :)

I'm writing my 3rd chemistry report and I want it to be good (this is for the DCP). So here's my question: do I propagate the results and show the calculations? If so, do I talk about them or do I leave that until the Conclusion and Evaluation? Also how would I display the uncertainties... in brackets next to the manipulated data or as a separate table showing the uncertainty on each piece of equipment?

Thanks (whoever answers) :)

you do need to show your working, equations and calculations. show them in the Data Processing section.

in the list of materials and equipments, I do write the uncertainty of each equipment (where appropriate)

in Data Collection and Data Processing sections, indicate every uncertainty next to the data in the working. however note that you only need to show the working once (where there are repeats) and then you show the results ONLY for the repeats, in a table. so then in the table you can put one column for uncertainties, or if they're the same just put it in the heading of the column for the data.

• Like 1

Hi again. I'm doing an experiment where I have to find the number of water molecules in anhydrous crystals (which I've done).

I've also found all the absolute uncertainties on my equipment and put them into percentage error, then added them together to find total percentage error. What do I do with this percentage error to find the uncertainty of my experiment?

Thanks

Edited by brofessional

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again. I'm doing an experiment where I have to find the number of water molecules in anhydrous crystals (which I've done).

I've also found all the absolute uncertainties on my equipment and put them into percentage error, then added them together to find total percentage error. What do I do with this percentage error to find the uncertainty of my experiment?

Thanks for reading :)

Try this tool: http://ibsurvival.com/uncertainties/index.php

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a question. i'm chemistry HL, and I plan to submit as a DCP my investigation on Hess's Law. I want to make sure if graphs are REALLY REQUIRED for DCP to get full marks. Would an IA that merely involves determining specific values of substances for example, determining enthalpy change of decomposition, be rendered invalid and not give me full marks?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi people,

I have a question about chem IA. We still didn't do any of chem lab reports and in few days I'm gonna be in  IB2... I know that this isn't good but I don't know what to do!

Can anyone explain me what is the IA in chem, how do we do it?

Thanks a lot

Hi people,

I have a question about chem IA. We still didn't do any of chem lab reports and in few days I'm gonna be in  IB2... I know that this isn't good but I don't know what to do!

Can anyone explain me what is the IA in chem, how do we do it?

Thanks a lot

The IA is the new syllabus is an individual investigation. You have to decide on the topic, carry out an investigation and write it up. This is just a very brief outline - you should ask your teacher for more details or see the guide I posted on this forum. It is normal for students to carry out the investigation in the second year of the course as this gives them time to develop their skills and cover enough of the curriculum. I would expect that you will carry out your investigation in the second year, but if you are worried, then speak to your teacher or the DP coordinator at your school.