A suggestion regarding G4 Project?

chileanbob

I was wondering why there isn't much information about the Group 4 Project? My G4 is coming up soon, and I have to start it. I know the IBO (or you at least you guys) must have some kind of advice/rubric for doing this project? I wanted to know what the report aspect of the G4 is... like how many words, format of the paper, etc. Thanks!

:P

yep, do a powerpoint presentation. it looks good :)

the form of our presentation was very similar to an experiment.. with those planning, results, etc. parts.. teachers really like that.

also to make it more interesting add a video.. i don't know whether video can give you extra points, but it is easier to watch and not so boring :)

I'll just speak from personal experience here.

Basically, we were given a very vague topic (ours was 'trash') and assigned into groups of 8-9 that included kids from Physics, Chem, Bio and ES. The Physics kids did something related to trash compression, the Chemistry kids did something on the enzyme/chemicals that decompose, Biology did stuff on decomposers/scavengers, and ES did stuff on harmful trash's effect on the environment. I think we also did an experiment with pectinase (an enzyme that causes stuff to decompose). Then we put it all on a science fair presentation board and displayed it for 2 hours (our school has this evening where all the Group 4 projects are displayed and we can view one another's work). My teachers were pretty slack about Group 4, so we didn't really do 10 hours worth of work but still got the lab hours.

Edited by Agneisse

Well, our school doesn't have ES. It's not necessary for the school to have all sciences to do the G4 project. Our school offers Bio, Chem and Phys, so we had a group with students from all three. I'd say that only very few schools have ALL the sciences IBO offers.

The format of the G4 is an actual lab. At my school, everyone had to do 2 separate labs because we take chem but only some people take physics and some people take bio. So for example, I had to do a chem and bio lab, each concentrating on the chem/bio aspect of the investigation.

Then we made a bristol board kind of thing for the presentation.

Our group 4 project was based around environmental awareness. The grade was split into 6 or 7 large teams and those teams into 3 groups depending on the subject of each student. I remember that the physics people tried to create a natural water boiler, the biology people researched energy produced from decomposition, and the chem people looked into what pollutants were in the stream running through our campus.

At the end, I just wrote a really detailed lab report rather than a PowerPoint. That way I just handed it in without needing to present it to a teacher.

My only other tip is, don't slack off (obviously) but don't stress over it too much either. When the teachers first spoke of the project we all thought "oh no, they'll be watching us the whole time, we gotta show leadership bla bla bla." Instead we just worked hard but were able to check out what other groups were doing, socialized, and had a pretty good time. And there was a good atmosphere at school because all the younger grades were on field trips for the week!