• Oxford
    • Harvard
    • APA
    • MLA
    • ASA
    • Chicago
    • Other

• 7 months later...

how to reference images from Google Image? I can't even find the author's name, not the year or anything, only the link. how can I cite the source?

Google Image will lead you to the website the image was from. Cite the website like normal.

• 1 month later...

Google Image will lead you to the website the image was from. Cite the website like normal.

(For APA citations) How would I count the citations in my word count? I know I wouldn't count "(Smith, 2005)" but what if it was "In his book, Smith (2005) notes that..."?

Also, I'm trying to quote a source within a source. I know I can say "Smith (2005) says... (as cited in Jones, 2005)." But can I say (Smith, 2005 as cited in Jones, 2005)?

• Like 1

(For APA citations) How would I count the citations in my word count? I know I wouldn't count "(Smith, 2005)" but what if it was "In his book, Smith (2005) notes that..."?

Also, I'm trying to quote a source within a source. I know I can say "Smith (2005) says... (as cited in Jones, 2005)." But can I say (Smith, 2005 as cited in Jones, 2005)?

I personally did not use APA so I am not clear on the format. The problem of a source within a source comes up a lot and I'm suprised how schools don't give students the right information to deal with the problem.

See if this helps: http://www.umuc.edu/library/libhow/apa_examples.cfm#secondary

• 1 month later...

Hey about this citation, are we allowed to use Wikipedia? I need an image that is found on Wiki. I found a similar one on enotes, but they copied it exactly from wikipedia. What should I do? Please help!!

Thanks!

I don't think there is a problem with going with Wikipedia if the thing is already clear. If you want the image of an apple then Wikipedia image should be acceptable. But I would say if you find a piece of information in Wikipedia and you want to cite it then you can give a sentence of justification saying why this is logical or justified. But I would generally say if you find the same information in other site then use it.

What would be the most appropriate format for a Maths EE? This is the first time I've written a research paper in math, and I feel that using MLA or APA (both of those are geared towards specific subjects or areas) would not be apt.

I'm doing a Maths EE and using APA because my school forces us to. I don't see why it's so important though :S maybe you can ask your school to make sure? I don't have so many references, only very few, so I'm not really bothered with the citation style...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Question about video citations - Do you think that a youtube video is a) a reliable source that b) could be cited in my EE? I found this TV program/movie (not really sure) on Youtube to do with my topic but there is literally NOTHING online about this source.

Also, would I cite it like a normal video then? Or as a webpage?

Question about video citations - Do you think that a youtube video is a) a reliable source that b) could be cited in my EE? I found this TV program/movie (not really sure) on Youtube to do with my topic but there is literally NOTHING online about this source.

Also, would I cite it like a normal video then? Or as a webpage?

A Youtube video would be a reliable source as long as it's published by a reputable source, such as something like BBC, CNN, History Channel, PBS, etc. And you would cite it like a normal video.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hello. How should I refer to a given appendix in the text? Shold I write for instance (Appendix A)? Or should it be rather like (Appendix A, some title)? I've decided to use Harvard Referencing System and can't get the information about this case.

Thank you in advice.

You can do it either way. For example when I did my historical investigation for HL history last year when I wanted to reference the images I put in my appendix, I just said ".......Soviet propaganda posters (see Appendix A)." You could also write it as ".....Soviet propaganda posters, as in Appendix A." That's for if the appendix is by you. If you're referencing an appendix (like you found an appendix in someone else's work and you wanted to put it as an appendix in your own paper), you would just write it as "....Soviet propaganda posters (Johnson, Appendix A) and then in your bibliography just cite the source as you would in Harvard Referencing System.

Ok, thank you. I've got one more question. Namely: do I have to cite a platitude? Let me provide a theoretical example: "It is repeated over and over again (or - it is well known) that the Beatles are the most influential/the greatest band in the history". My supervisor suggested that I should refer to it in my essay but it's a kind of constantly repeated cliche so I don't see such a need to do it. What do you think about it?

• 2 weeks later...

in my EE I'm using APA style but I have a doubt about it!

For a citation, I use the foot note for put a reference, and then I put the full reference in the bibliography, mi issue is with the foot note with the reference, what I should put there? In case of websites, should I put: Author, (year) Title [Type] and add the year and the date when I consult that web? or with Author, (year) Title [Type] its ok? thanks!

• 5 months later...