About IB Moderation

GDragon

Im not sure if this question has been asked before, but how often does IB take samples of portfolios from all the schools and moderate them? Every year? Or every 2 years? And also how many samples do they take per school? Thanks in advance

The IBO take samples every year, and the number of samples they take depends on the number of students. I can't remember the exact numbers, but I think that if there are 5 or less students then all the portfolios are sent, and if there are more than that they will pick a few samples (the more students there are, the more samples they will pick).

What happens is that the teacher enters all the marks into a computer system and then the IBO picks the ones they want. They usually pick a sampling of the highest marks, lowest marks, and marks in between.

I see, thank you for the quick reply!

I have another question, how does the moderation process go about? Do they re-read all of the samples and re-mark them to compare? Or do they just skim through? Wouldn't there be thousands of portfolios sent in each year? So how many peple are working on it at once?

Okay, that helped, but now it raises another question, if my class contained 60 people, would IBO take around 10 samples from Type I portfolio and 10 samples from Type II?, or just 10 overall? Also, do they combine the HL and SL classes when sending in samples, or is it separate?

Okay, that helped, but now it raises another question, if my class contained 60 people, would IBO take around 10 samples from Type I portfolio and 10 samples from Type II?, or just 10 overall? Also, do they combine the HL and SL classes when sending in samples, or is it separate?

If I am correct they take ten samples. These samples are a combination of both I and II to make a maths portfolio. They will not combine HL and SL as these are seperate classes, each class sends its own combination, there is no combination of classes.