Biology vs. Physics

peiyao

Well I'm planning to go into Hotel Management for uni, and if you want to get into one of the really good ones, they require Maths or Science at a HL. So I don't actually need a particular science for my future.

Oh and Desy Glau, I haven't seen any other Bio VS Physics discussions on the forum so if you could give me a link that would be really great :)

Thank you for all your replies guys. I'm starting to lean towards taking Physics :)

Edited by Summer Glau
no text speak

my friend is taking Bio SL and he is planning to study Hotel Management too.

geez, use the search feature.

www.ibsurvival.com/topic/12603-physics-or-biology/ (hottest)

www.ibsurvival.com/topic/15170-ib-sciences-physics-or-biology/

www.ibsurvival.com/topic/13361-bio-sl-or-physics-sl/

if any mod reads this post can all of there topics be merged please? thanks.

Biology is boring. The only people I know who "like it" are those who are really bad at chemistry/physics. Biology HL is incredibly boring, and all but few topics (evolution :) ) are incredibly dull and pure memorizing. But hey, if you like it, take it.

Physics is at least intellectually challenging.

Haha I can't not reply to this.

I could easily say , the only people who dont like biology are those who don't know what it talks about and think it's memorizing (which they're bad at). How can biology be boring? It has so many different topics, most of which are so interesting (Except evolution, which is not that interesting, we've all heard it before)! I really don't see how it's dull..at all. In fact what makes it hard for some people is that it's very diverse, some topics have got NOTHING to do with the rest.

Another point, there is noway biology is pure memorizing. Why would you bluntly memorize something without really understanding it? Biology is not memorizing, especially the human physiology, genetics and especially the synthesis of proteins. I may agree with you on plant science because those have a lot of names.

Saying the only people who "like" biology are those who are really bad in chemistry/physics doesn't make sense at all. I loved biology HL..really loved it, I took Chem HL as my second science and I still loved it almost as much as I loved biology and I was really good at both of them (not bragging but trying to get a point across). So what you said there is incorrect in so many ways.

Once again the only people I heard complain about biology being dull and boring are the mathematical people who can't understand biology because it doesn't have a lot of math/formula in it. Not saying all mathematical people, knew some people had major interest in biology and very very brilliant in Math and Physics HL.

To answer the main question:

If you like Biology, you will love it. You are going to have to put a little effort, but no as much as you would if you didn't like it. I didn't take physics, but from what I have seen Physics HL is much harder than Biology HL. Take a look at the syllabus for both and see which one interests you more.

That's not what I meant. When I say 'what it talks about' I mean what it's actually giving you, what it's trying to teach you. I totally understand what you're saying; I knew what national history and geography talked about and I always got As in them, but I still hated that SO MUCH. Doesn't mean a history loving person can't come to me and say "You don't like because you dont really understand it". Here's another example, you are a physics HL student. I have taken a close look at the syllabus back then and my dad explained me what it talks about and I got what it talks about, but I still refused to even consider it and I hate it so much. You like physics HL, I would totally understand if you told me "Maha you don't like it because you don't understand it".

"Understanding a subject" means different things to those who really like it and those who just..don't.

So yeah, if I didn't like Biology I would have agreed with you. But I love it, so the phrase "understand it" means a totally different thing to me than to you. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Universities almost always prefer Physics over Chem over Bio. So take Physics, but if you are a girl. the trend is that girls dont do as well in physics. not trying to discourage you but you might be better suited to rote biology memorization

well i'm a girl and I got the highest mark in my class?

well thank you guys so much , I decided that since I don't see myself being an doctor . I'll go with physics instead.

• Like 1

Physics certainly would carry more weight on an American application than Biology would.

Additionally, it is considered easier to receive a 7 on IB Phyiscs than it is for Biology.

For that reason I would reccommend physics.

Honestly I think universities weight Chemistry and Physics equally. IB Chemistry HL is a more difficult course than Physics HL. The AP Chemistry exam is also considered the most difficult of AP exams.

Edited by daxx

I would recommend Physics, but that's my preference. :)

But if you're gonna study Hotel Management, i guess Biology should be fine.. It's not a pushover though! Biology is really interesting, especially Genetics! I wish i could've taken Biology SL..