EE outline

IB 2012

An Extended Essay has to be approximately 4,000 words. It has to be pretty well detailed as you'll have done quite a lot of research for it. However, having said that research for language/history based EE's require probably a lot more research than science experimental based ones. Also, with this in mind...the outline of an extended essay really depends on which subject you choose to do your EE on. If you do it in science, the EE structure should basically adhere to the general rules of a Science lab write up, although it's an extended version. If you're doing an EE in History, then you might want to look at various sources, and analyse bits of histography that is relevant to your topic. It depends on the subject you wish to do your EE in.

If you tell me what subject you might want to do your EE in, I may be able to help you further.

Also, if you become a VIP (you become one by helping others on IBS out or by subscribing), then you can get access to sample EE's from any subject. The link is here:

Sample EE's

Or you can view this link for a very generic extended essay template (note that this may not be suitable for your particular subject):

EE Skeleton

EDIT: Actually, here's an idea of how you could structure it (I don't really think that the second link above is that helpful):

Introduction

The introduction should include:

· an indication of why the topic chosen is interesting, important or worthy of study

· some background information and an attempt to place the topic in an appropriate

context

· an indication of whether the topic has been narrowed to a focus of more manageable

proportions

· a clearly and precisely stated research question

· a clear concluding statement of the thesis and argument, i.e. the response to the

research question that will subsequently be developed in the body of the essay.

Body/Development

The essential feature of the major section, or body, of the essay is the systematic development of

a convincing answer to the research question. The structure and the approach to this section will

be shaped by the conventions of the particular subject in which the extended essay is being

undertaken. Some subjects may require sub­headings for major sections within the main body.

For example, scientific investigations will usually have separate sections for method and results.

In some other subjects, however, sub­headings should be avoided because they disrupt the flow

and unity of an essay.

Conclusion

The requirements of the conclusion are that it

· is clearly stated

· is relevant to the research question being investigated

· is substantiated by the evidence presented

· indicates issues, unresolved questions and new questions that have emerged from the

research.

Hope that helped a bit. But as I said before, you need to have an idea of which subject you intend to do your EE in so that you can tailor-make it to suit the subject's requirements.

Edited by nametaken
  • Like 4

Wow thank you soo much!!!!

I am doing it in economics, on price discrimination in medicine and how your level of insurance affects your treatment, like how often you have to see he doctor, what medicine you get e.t.c.

I have not done any research yet, is this a problem?

I am doing it in economics, on price discrimination in medicine and how your level of insurance affects your treatment, like how often you have to see he doctor, what medicine you get e.t.c.

Well, it really depends on what stage your school is at. For my school, they've structured it for the whole of the ten months, and we have to hand in about six or so forms during those 10 months, to map out our progress and meetings with our supervisors. If you haven't got a supervisor, then you'll definitely need to see one, or if you have, then talk to your supervisor about your idea and see what he/she thinks of it. Also, if this is your second month into the EE, I'd definitely recommend you to make a start on the research as yours is in Economics. Mine is in Physics, and as it's an experimental one, I don't have to do a massive level of research. You'll definitely have to get some statistics & other figures.

Hope that this cleared your doubts, and no problem. Glad I was able to be of some help.

Just out of interest, do you take Economics at HL?

• 2 years later...

how many words should our introduction be approximately?

This is quite a difficult question to answer - it really does depend on subject, and then the specific research question you have chosen. I did mine in English, and had what I thought was quite an 'average' length introduction of about 476 words, but I've seen English ones range from 300 to nearly 1000 words. It really depends on how much background knowledge and theory you need to introduce to make the body of your essay - with your main arguments - make sense and appear to be a topic worthy of research and analysis. It shouldn't really just be a summary of your essay, which is what introductions commonly are in shorter pieces, but it should give a context to why you are writing your EE and how you're going to go about presenting your findings.

how many words should our introduction be approximately?

This is quite a difficult question to answer - it really does depend on subject, and then the specific research question you have chosen. I did mine in English, and had what I thought was quite an 'average' length introduction of about 476 words, but I've seen English ones range from 300 to nearly 1000 words. It really depends on how much background knowledge and theory you need to introduce to make the body of your essay - with your main arguments - make sense and appear to be a topic worthy of research and analysis. It shouldn't really just be a summary of your essay, which is what introductions commonly are in shorter pieces, but it should give a context to why you are writing your EE and how you're going to go about presenting your findings.

thnx! i m gna keep this in mind about the summary thing while writing it out and mine is on IT btw.

• 6 years later...