University and Grade 10

Argiyama

Obviously this is not IB-related so I think I should post it up here. Well, I'm choosing my courses for grade 10 next semester and i have two elective courses. I have no choice but between computer programming and cooking. Now, computer programming suck so bad and it's so boring. They teach me all the basic stuffs which i learned in grade 5!! so i'm thinking about changing to cooking because my best mate is in that class LOL do you think top university take this into consideration?? like soft subject?? because it would be really suck if i change my course and university turn me down...please reply ASAP because my counsellor is kinda .....****

Take classes that you enjoy. Worry about university later.

That's as silly as saying "eat the food that you enjoy, worry about heart surgery later." The classes you take effect your chances of getting into the university you want to attend so you have to keep the university in consideration when picking your classes.

I don't think that any univeristy is going to penalize you for choosing cooking over computers, they're both easy classes. A matter of fact I think that having that cooking class mightn show some uniqueness.

And Forester if those are really your predicted grades... all I can say is WOW! Especially if you actually get them.

Edited by Chuck10112

I took a cooking class because i enjoy cooking. I say take a break before you get into actual IB...if you're really concerned about university you can get a letter of recommendation from that teacher and get them to explain in the letter why you took the course i.e special interest etc.

I see that you take Thai A1. I'm not sure how admissions work in Thailand, but in the States I think that might work in your favour. You are already taking a tough load of courses by doing IB, but you are also pursuing your interests and learning to cook. In fact, if you like cooking and is interested in the material, it will show in class and your teacher might produce a very good letter of recommendation come application time.

Take a class that you think you will enjoy but at the same time will look the best once you come out of school.

But don't stress too much, Year 10 is the year where university is still fairly distant. 11th grade will start killing you because all of a sudden you have the real choices that will affect your future in university