4 HL Subjects or 3?

Aimee599

yes it is possible, but it's a really tough challenge, i guess if you put your mind to it, then you can make it. and if you find it difficult, then you can drop it later on.

BIO HL probably didn't go that far yet, so it seems possible. but don't forget that then you are required to do more work.

good luck with that :)

At this stage in your diploma, it's probably not such a big deal. You'll need to do work to catch up, but it's doable.

Although, I'd question why exactly you want to take four HL's? What benefit do you get out of it? And also, what are your other subjects that your are taking at HL at the moment? I wouldn't so much be worried about the work you have to catch up now... but the work that you will need to do in the future.

Edited by Sublime Sunshine

As they said in other posts, it is really challenging to have four HLs, but it is possible. It is good to state say that some universities take that into account. Biology HL is one of my subject, it is nice but long. It is one of the longest, and it needs much memorizing, but if you can to go with 4 HLs then there will be no problem for that.

Edited by inm

First, it depends on how fast the HL bio class goes in your school. For example, in my school HL bio go pretty fast in terms of the syllabus and workload.

But naturally if its something you really want to do and are prepared to work for, then it should be no problem.

I wouldn't generally advise you to take 4 HLs, The IB is designed for you to do 3, you know! :P And I don't think you get too much of an added advantage for universities...And most people I know who have done 4 HLs have now dropped to 3, so I guess they did feel the added pressure.

But it depends on your other classes as well! For example higher economics and higher history are quite similar to their standard levels, so shouldnt be too much extra work. So think about your other classes, and how you're coping already and if you think it won't make too much difference to you doing an extra HL, go for it.

Good luck whatever you decide :)

Edited by ShootingStars

No, that sounds like suicide.

Having said that however, Bio HL syllabus is really not that bad. It comes down to how hard you want this, and how much work you want to put into it.

I'm impressed that your school schedule would even be able to accomodate this. HL classes require more hours than SL, so our school schedules an extra half-class for every HL subject we take.

• 2 weeks later...

I take 4 HL's and I seriously see no disparity in a the HL's and Sl's in a couple of subjects such as Phy, Eco , English, and Comp Sci. Well I don't think 4 HL's is suicide - 5 is haha - thats why its not allowed =). My friend took BIO HL as his 4th HL and he gets 7's in all of his Hl's (except math course) - and he says BIO Hl is pretty simple and not that different from BIO SL. This is just my outlook - good luck anyways. 4 HL aint so bad - but if you think you can't handle it then dont try cause it may do more harm then good

• 4 weeks later...