Paper 2 Tips

• 2 weeks later...
Language B Chinese Writing Formats

1. 写一篇讲话稿、演讲稿、讲演稿、讲稿 (write a Speech)

w9PBu.gif
  2. 写一封申请信、申请书 (write an application letter)

cA23D.gif
  3. 写一封信 (can be formal or informal)

Informal:

t9nvA.gif

Formal: see above for application letter
  4. 写一个电影评论、影评、观后感 (write a movie review)

ZHrrZ.gif
  5. 写一个通知 (write a notice)

RG7J8.gif
  6. 写一篇日记 (write a diary)

mKy7v.gif
  7. 写一个广告 (write an advert)

DsIbJ.gif
  8. 写一篇辩论稿 (write a debating script)

t1K2E.gif
  9. 写一封电邮 (write an email)

riokx.gif

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

But don't our answer sheets just get scanned/photocopied, like they do for our other exams?

No they get sent directly to the examiners who I believe send them to the head examiner who sends it to IB Cardiff.

Some are some aren't. IB has started their switch to scanning test so examiners can grade them on a computer instead of paying thousands for mailing. It depends on the test honestly as to whether or not they will be scanned. The science papers are being scanned but I don't remember our coordinator saying anything about our english papers being scanned and I'd assume the languages to be all the same.

IB just started this transition though so chances are that by the time you test they still won't be scanning everything. Even still, the point of the folding is to make a line for your columns, not make a brochure that's actually fold-able :P

• 3 months later...

More tips for Paper 2

- Learn some useful phrases (introductions/openings/closing lines/general stuff) for each format. They really help you get started in exams, and give you a bit of confidence too!

- Do not count on any specific format coming up on the exam. Usually there is a letter/journal intime, but year (May 2011) there wasn't. So be careful and know your formats! Sure you can avoid a few (I know a lot of people stay to steer clear of brochures etc, but thats more a personal decision) but make sure you know quite a few well. On the exam, you want to be choosing the easiest topic to write about, not according to format.

- Write lots of essays nearing the exam time. You'll get faster and better at writing and will learn how to think quickly in French, which helps unbelievably in the exam. Also, look at what you did wrong (always have essays corrected) and try hard to understand mistakes so you don't make them again.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

What are some useful phrases or idioms worth memorizing? My french is poor and I need anything to boost my grade...

Learn ones that can be used in a variety of settings. While it may be impressive to learn a super tough idiom, if the only time it's used is when your dog knocks over a flowerpot (idk or something equally not likely to come up on the exams), it's probably best to skip it. Learn about five or six good, multi-situational idioms and you should be good to go.

For Paper 2 (French B SL), do you have a choice of what to write or is there only one option? My teacher told us about the different writing formats we may have to do but she never said if there are multiple writing options or one that everyone does.

There will be four options, you just choose one. You can pick any option you want. Each question might have a different format (a diary entry, a letter, a brochure, etc), that's just what she means.

• 11 months later...

As far as formal letter is concerned: are we supposed to write (top of the page) all these data conerning addresee (his name, address, etc.) and date? Or should we begin with the content with "Dear Sir..."?

Edited by yghydumdam

• 2 weeks later...

As far as formal letter is concerned: are we supposed to write (top of the page) all these data conerning addresee (his name, address, etc.) and date? Or should we begin with the content with "Dear Sir..."?

You should prepare to have both the addresses of the sender (you) and the recipient (subject) at the top. Make up an address if you want, they don't care. And make sure to date it. Then you can open the letter and write it. Then close it.

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...