chicheto93

no they will not :P but the good teachers will know what the graph shape should be like without having to plot it on a software, so if you manipulate your graph, they might know.

hmmm thanks... its a polynomial to 6 degree haha... i cant seem to input it properly into excel :(... its the regression equation so it is meant 2 fit the data set well though :(

We were told to make it as easy to explain as possible, so I suggest doing a linear equation for the first part; the r value is pretty high and there is no need to even use matrices. Ultimately, you can change it for the calculator model if you want, but by then the hard part would have been finished.

What i got from my teacher is that its easier to use Linear function at the beginning. This is because when plotting the line of best fit, it automatically sit between the points (no ****) and provides a sort of average for you to go about. This also helps in getting values of 1940 and 1944...

The next part is finding it analytically.. i used power rules.. if you substitute the values of y for say the year 1956 and 1968 and then scale the x values down like mentioned in other posts, you can use power rules to simplify equations etc. etc.

Refining i found was not necessary after you have plotted your original line of best fit (for linear if your doing it) and analytically created equation.

I used an exponential function and proved that it was better then polynomial logorithmic and quadratic using regression values from my calculator.

Hope i was some help

• Like 1

heeey ive done all graphs etc and decided to use an exponential and log

but im stuck with writing the parameter and constraints part :(

do we hve to do these for all the models we trial? nd hooow?!

okay example:

if your function was:

gif.latex?y=\frac{2x}{x^2-4}

one of the constraints would be that gif.latex?x \not=\pm2

so for your functions, what do you think would be the constraints?

• 2 weeks later...

How many models are we expected to do analytically?

Also does anyone know how to print screen what's on your calculator?

one

do you use TI? you need the cable and software (in the CD usually, or downloadable online). connect your calculator to your PC and in the software there's a capture screen button.

There are two specific parts that are bugging me. Notation and the Use of Technology. I'm never certain that my notation is correct, so would it be possible for someone to post all the correct notation relevant to this topic. Also, how do I implement the Use of Technology? I believe it goes beyond saying "I used my calculator to calculate this data". Thanks!

how many analytical and regression models should i test, recommended wise

i know there isn't a 'correct' number but just would like to know an approximate so i don't overdo or underdo by too much

thanks!!

you're only asked to create 3 models:

1. one analytically for the data from the first table

2. one technologically for the data from the first table

3. one modified from either function 1 or 2 for the data from the second table

so, the answer to your question is one by hand and one from calculator.

Desy Glau,

1. When they refer to "your equation" are they referring to the equation created analytically or the equation found with technology?

2. How would I create an equation to the sixth power?

3. Could you please explain what they mean by possible constraints and parameters?

Thank you! like many people on here my teacher did not do an adequate job preparing us for this ia!

How do I start off for creating an equation to model the data analytically? is there a certain equation I should use?

you need to first choose what kind of function you want to model. then state its general form and then solve for the constants by plugging in values of x and y.

There are two specific parts that are bugging me. Notation and the Use of Technology. I'm never certain that my notation is correct, so would it be possible for someone to post all the correct notation relevant to this topic. Also, how do I implement the Use of Technology? I believe it goes beyond saying "I used my calculator to calculate this data". Thanks!

you kidding me? you think we don't have a life huh?

basically just make sure your notations are similar to those you can find on your textbook. for example usually they put f(x)=... and not f<x>: ... and you shouldn't use x^2, you should use gif.latex?x^2 you know stuff like that.

basically when you use your calculator to generate your second function it's already use of technology.

How do we plot the data table? Because when we skip the years 1940 and 1944, the table gives an unrealistic representation of an increase. Does anyone have any suggestions? Labeling 1932 1, 1936 2 etc.

plot the data just the way it is. I don't get what you mean by unrealistic representation or by labelling 1932 1 etc

Desy Glau,

1. When they refer to "your equation" are they referring to the equation created analytically or the equation found with technology?

2. How would I create an equation to the sixth power?

3. Could you please explain what they mean by possible constraints and parameters?

Thank you! like many people on here my teacher did not do an adequate job preparing us for this ia!

1. you may choose the one which fits better

2.use matrices

3.not completely sure but afaik it's basically the limitations. not sure though.

The second part of the question states that you have to use technology to find another function that models the data, how do you do it on the calculator. I have already inputted the data, can the calculator automatically create a function that best fits for you?

go to stat

go to calc

chose one ie. linear (ax+b)

click L1 (click 2nd then number 1)

click comma (above number 7)

click L2

click comma

click vars (to the left of CLEAR)

go to y-vars

go to functions

click y1

click enter

click graph

you kidding me? you think we don't have a life huh?

basically just make sure your notations are similar to those you can find on your textbook. for example usually they put f(x)=... and not f<x>: ... and you shouldn't use x^2, you should use gif.latex?x^2 you know stuff like that.

basically when you use your calculator to generate your second function it's already use of technology.

Thanks, I'm not sure how you were offended since I was simply asking someone to state what is the correct notation. Like U(n) for series and sequences...I apologize though.