Questions about English A1 Oral

Agneisse

I take English A1 at HL, and I'm going to be doing my IOP (oral presentation) on a poem. Thing is, I'm not sure what I should be doing with regards to a poem - it seems awfully hard to develop an argument based on several lines of poetry. Do I say something along the lines of "Through the use of Device A, Device B and Device C, Pablo Neruda sets the tone of the poem to be anti-capitalism" as my thesis statement and then find evidence (would this be from Neruda's lifetime or only in the poem?) to support it?

Sorry I'm just really confused and worried and my teacher is not really explaining things well.

You can use either! The boundaries for the IOP are pretty open, and you can incorporate basically anything you want as long as it is relevant and incorporated well. You could do what you said, with Device A, B, etc., you could explore the life of Pablo Neruda and what led him to write such an anti-capitalist poem, or compare this poem with another one of his works of a similar theme.

The possibilities are endless!