SL to Studies

chanendelerbong

• 1 month later...

Should I drop to IB Math Studies SL? :read::bawling:

Currently I'm an 11th Grader , first year of the International Baccalaureate Program.

I am taking 4 high levels :

History HL ,

English Literature HL ,

Biology HL ,

French Language and Literature HL.

The standard levels i am taking are

Math SL ,

Chemistry SL .

However i am contemplating dropping from Math SL to Math Studies SL. Math is really not my forte and at the moment i really find it challenging for me. The class goes so fast , i barely keep up. I want to change but i'm scared that changing to a lower math will limit my university choices. My dream school is Columbia university. Originally i wanted to major in political science and minor in either economics or business. But taking a lower math could eliminate the possibility of an economics minor. Please Help. What should I do ?

Someone PLEASE help me :blush:

pure Lit is more difficult than Lang&Lit.

you should try to ask your teacher for tutorials. I personally think a 4 or 5 in Maths SL looks better than a 6 or 7 in Maths Studies, especially that you're aiming to minor in Econ/Business.

why not drop one of your HLs to SL so you have more time, in a sense, to improve your maths?

Guest KAPOWW!!

Yea that's actually a valid alternative, since you always want to be on the safer side with universities, you'd rather drop and HL to SL thank bring Maths SL to MAths SSL(studies SL)

All the best, hope I helped! :D

I agree, why not take 3 HLs and 3 SLs?

Math was really hard for me too. It was never my forte, I always felt like it took me 3 times as long to understand concepts. When I was learning it, during the year, I thought, there's no way I'm getting a seven; I'd be happy with a 6. I couldn't keep up and still did badly on tests. It was stressful, but if you hang in there (as with all other subjects) and try your best, you might surprise yourself. Throughout the year math stressed me out so much, but by the end, before exams, I actually felt confident. You still have time to learn all these math concepts, don't let it overwhelm you just yet.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

First of all look at requirements for the courses you want to do at university... some unis won't accept maths studies even if your course isn't mathsy!! My parents wanted me to take SL but I took studies from the start, having looked at requirements for uni. Personally I'm not keen on maths at all, although I guess I'm not too bad when I put my mind to it (I got A* in GCSE) I'm really glad I took studies, as my sister takes SL and I've seen some of her work and it looks really difficult, especially the coursework. A lot of people in my school have dropped from SL to studies, even at the end of the first year. Although if you're going to drop, do it sooner rather than later or you'll have loads of catching up to do!!

I don't know if it's just my school, but we do hardly any work outside of class for maths studies, so you should have more time to focus on your 4 HLs. However I know you said that you want to take those 4 HLs as they're the ones you're good at, but remember you don't get any extra credit for it!! Although I know some people take 4 HLs for a while then drop to SL for their least favourite or the one they're least good at. After all it's easy enough to go from HL to SL!!

I've seen quite a few forums with this topic and I apologise for another one but I really do need help.

As you can see below the subjects that I am studying are:

English Lit A1 HL

Psychology HL

Business Management HL

Maths SL

Physics SL

Italian AB Initio

I feel like I have 3 subjects that I am finding challenging or hard to achieve a 6/7 in: Physics, English and Maths.

I'm thinking that if I drop to Maths Studies then I will have a higher chance of getting a better mark overall in my IB exams.

I don't know what I want to do when I leave school. I am not the brightest at maths and I believe that in the future I will find standard very challenging, along with physics and english. Originally I wanted to do law, now I'm thinking about Business at University of New South Wales or University of Sydney.

Does anybody know if these universities accept studies? I've tried searching and failed.

Do you think I should drop to studies of maths?

Advice, please?

• 5 months later...

Hello, there! I would like some advice on if I should drop from Math SL to Studies. I'm nearing the end of my first year of IB and will be taking exams in May 2013. My current subjects and grades (non-predicted) are:

HL English A- 6

SL Chinese ab initio- 6 (I'll most likely get a 7)

HL History- 6

SL Biology- 6

SL Math- 4

HL Theatre- 6 (aiming for a 7)

I'll be applying to universities in both the US (mostly liberal arts colleges) and the UK (University of Edinburgh, Durham, possibly Oxford) and I'm hoping to study Chinese or some other humanities subject. I am really horrible at maths-- I always has been. Once I understand a concept, I'm fine at doing it, but my problem is that I tend to forget whatever I've learned once we moved on! My whole SL class kind of sucks in general... on our midterm, I got a 33% on the test and that was the highest score. It's not possible for me to get a tutor, since my school is in a very isolated area and is quite small-- for example, there are only 20 people in my year. Would it be best for me to drop to Studies so that I can focus on other subjects? (Revising to get a 7 in history, for example.) If I drop at the end of this school year, I can spend the summer holidays spending time revising on what I need to know for Studies. I honestly think that I will have no practical use of maths in the real world, excluding basic concepts. At this point, I'd rather get a 6 or 7 in Studies than a 3 or 4 in Standard. I feel like I *could* get a 5 in Standard, but it would take a lot of work and time that I'm not necessarily ready to spend. Any advice is welcomed!

Edited by musicandmadness

Although people drop from HL to SL all the time, it's much weirder to drop from SL to Studies.

It's because the Studies syllabus is completely different from the SL material. While HL contains SL, there is no Studies material in SL. However, seeing as you've made it into the second year, I think you would have to cram a lot between now and your exam if you chose to drop to Studies. It's not that it's hard per se (it's Math Studies! The easiest Math course) but it's actually a lot to cram.

But, in my opinion, you should stick to Math SL. If you haven't had any previous troubles than what you are facing now, then just get some extra tutoring and even ask the teacher for help. If anything, switching to Studies will look bad on your college applications and all that jazz.

Although people drop from HL to SL all the time, it's much weirder to drop from SL to Studies.

It's because the Studies syllabus is completely different from the SL material. While HL contains SL, there is no Studies material in SL. However, seeing as you've made it into the second year, I think you would have to cram a lot between now and your exam if you chose to drop to Studies. It's not that it's hard per se (it's Math Studies! The easiest Math course) but it's actually a lot to cram.

But, in my opinion, you should stick to Math SL. If you haven't had any previous troubles than what you are facing now, then just get some extra tutoring and even ask the teacher for help. If anything, switching to Studies will look bad on your college applications and all that jazz.

you make maths studies sound like its a course for retards

it may have been better to switch if it was earlier

stick with SL and good luck

Hi!

I'm in my 2nd year of IB and I'm thinking about the possibility of dropping from Maths SL to Studies.

I feel that I'm struggling with SL especially with calculus and circular trig but I kinda don't want to drop to Studies as I don't really know what I want to do in Uni and not limit myself.

So I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on this and could help me out?

Thanks.

Where are you from? Depending on which country you're applying to Uni in, doing Studies may not overly restrict you. In Australia, for example, it doesn't outright stop you from doing anything that I know of.

i would assume that you already had your math ib exam if you said you were in your second year in march? if not, or as a matter of fact this goes to everyone having troubles with math: get your hands on past papers and do them! do every single paper from every timezone and examination session in the last years and you will be ready to do the ib exam.

• 11 months later...

IB guideliens say that the courses prepare you for the following:

HL: mathematics, math-ladenn physics, compsci, etc. math-laden engineering, etc

SL: math-laden social sciences: economics, etc. some forms of engineering

SL studies: all the rest.

(if found the the SL studies course, when done with understanding, was actually enough for a math economics course (of course, the course itself doesn't require much understanding and I did take HL in my first year). it really depends on what the unis want from you. check out requirements.

REMEMBER not to waste your precious time out of some kind of ambition. we live in a society, where mathematical abilities are highly valued and almost a benchmark for intelligence (which is nonsense); we therefore don't want to feel stupid and left out taking sl studies, but there is no rational justification behind wasting time when not necessary