Global Warming

Shorty

To be honest, I'm actually more interested in the global cooling that we may face (which is just another climate change).

In IB Chemistry, we learned that the ozone is mainly responsible for creating and destroying itself, but the formation of radical halogens (Chlorine, for example) is very volatile, which breaks apart ozone into oxygen gas.

To be honest, I'm actually more interested in the global cooling that we may face (which is just another climate change).

In IB Chemistry, we learned that the ozone is mainly responsible for creating and destroying itself, but the formation of radical halogens (Chlorine, for example) is very volatile, which breaks apart ozone into oxygen gas.

Oooh. Interesting. Can you explain that a little more in detail or give me a source??? <_<

Sure: Here's a site that lists them (note that they all contain some sort of halogen, which is very reactive due to a high electro-negativity): http://www.sbg.ac.at/ipk/avstudio/pierofun...o/cfc's.htm

And here's a site that explains "Ozone Depletion Potential," which is a basic formula for determining the most harmful CFC, or "chloro fluoro carbon," which is the compound that is most significant in ozone depletion. http://stason.org/TULARC/science-engineeri...-Potential.html

A good site to learn more about oxygen in the air and CFC's: http://www.albany.edu/faculty/rgk/atm101/ozone.htm

-BTW: the Chemistry HL-B's frequently referred to this site as a source when they taught the HL-A's about one of the Chemistry Option chapters that we could study.

If you need any explaining, I'd be glad to help! =D

Sure: Here's a site that lists them (note that they all contain some sort of halogen, which is very reactive due to a high electro-negativity): http://www.sbg.ac.at/ipk/avstudio/pierofun...o/cfc's.htm

And here's a site that explains "Ozone Depletion Potential," which is a basic formula for determining the most harmful CFC, or "chloro fluoro carbon," which is the compound that is most significant in ozone depletion. http://stason.org/TULARC/science-engineeri...-Potential.html

A good site to learn more about oxygen in the air and CFC's: http://www.albany.edu/faculty/rgk/atm101/ozone.htm

-BTW: the Chemistry HL-B's frequently referred to this site as a source when they taught the HL-A's about one of the Chemistry Option chapters that we could study.

If you need any explaining, I'd be glad to help! =D

awesome. now if only i was in chemistry and understood what all that meant. Remind me about it in a year and i should get it. <_<

• 1 month later...
Well I kinda stand in the middle when it comes to Global Warming. The Earth naturally is gonna get warmer then get cool down. There have been periods when its been warmer then this. But I dont think we are helping either. I think we might be aplyifying the prooblem.

Yehh i agree with this, ++ i feel we are not entirely to blame .... ++ there is too much media hype on global warming now -.-

In brief, I'd say that globally temperatures will naturally fluctuate over centuaries, to varying extremes. The media hype is hype, and thus excessive. It's a worthwhile idea living sustainably - warming or no - so future generations can live 'comfortably' too. (By comfortably I'm not saying the world is perfect at all, just that not everyone is starving!)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest dragonb111

it's not happening. I don't think that God would let the world destroy itself. Well, at least not before the rapture. After that, total chaos. Besides, if you have noticed that past couple of decades, scientists have been blabbing on about Global warming, then cooling, and back to warming. I think that it's just a cycle the earth goes through.

i remember watching CNN and this guy was telling us that if we wanted global warming to stop, we should have started "going green" 30 years earlier, so basically hes telling us global warming will kill us because we re too late to end it, but i think the humn race has a chance if we stop focusing on oursleves and help the environment out, yes that would mean possibly spending a couple extra dollars here and there, but hey, at least we may live a little longer, my science teacher says that if we all die from global warming, he owes everyone in our class a cok, though we would all be dead in that case and caan't drink the coke........ :)

it's not happening. I don't think that God would let the world destroy itself. Well, at least not before the rapture. After that, total chaos. Besides, if you have noticed that past couple of decades, scientists have been blabbing on about Global warming, then cooling, and back to warming. I think that it's just a cycle the earth goes through.

dragon....

i am a little confused as to how you could say god couldn't let us destroy ourselves for several reasons.

you just explained why something is fake by giving a reason that is also.... fake? i guess... not to trash your religion but god cannot be offered as the reason something doesn't exist because we are not sure if he exists either. but whatever gets you to think global warming is fake is cool with me.

maybe this is rapture? who knows? watch x-files on fox to find out!

I think dragon has a very good point. God wouldn't let the world destroy itself through "global warming"! That would be ridiculous. He's much more fond of genocide, war, child abuse, rape, and all those wonderful things. Let's be realistic now! God's not about to let the world be destroyed when he is having so much fun watching! What would he do afterwards?

Guest dragonb111
dragon....

i am a little confused as to how you could say god couldn't let us destroy ourselves for several reasons.

you just explained why something is fake by giving a reason that is also.... fake? i guess... not to trash your religion but god cannot be offered as the reason something doesn't exist because we are not sure if he exists either. but whatever gets you to think global warming is fake is cool with me.

I'm saying that God loves us all way to much to let us die like that. That's just low. Besides, I believe in the rapture. The world would end in I belive 7 years. That hasn't happened so as far as I'm concerned, if Global Warming is gonna destroy us, the rapture would've happened already. I'm just saying...

I think dragon has a very good point. God wouldn't let the world destroy itself through "global warming"! That would be ridiculous. He's much more fond of genocide, war, child abuse, rape, and all those wonderful things. Let's be realistic now! God's not about to let the world be destroyed when he is having so much fun watching! What would he do afterwards?

I agree with the first part. I don't agree with the sarcasm in the second and afterwards. We humans do these things to ourselve you know. We are influenced by temptation. I really don't think that He's laughing and having fun watching you make fun of Him either...And besides, like I said before, read revelation (yes! I spelled it right) chapters 6,7,8, and 9. The rapture happens before Jesus comes.

I agree with the first part. I don't agree with the sarcasm in the second and afterwards. We humans do these things to ourselve you know. We are influenced by temptation. I really don't think that He's laughing and having fun watching you make fun of Him either...And besides, like I said before, read revelation (yes! I spelled it right) chapters 6,7,8, and 9. The rapture happens before Jesus comes.

Here's where you fall of the wagon. It's us humans causing global warming as well. It's our capitalist temptation (I'm guilty of it too, I confess to being a cold capitalist) to consume our natural resources and nature, and by doing so pollute, and ultimately creating global warming. So why aren't the things Deus mentioned comparable with global warming - all of those are our fault.

Guest dragonb111
Here's where you fall of the wagon. It's us humans causing global warming as well. It's our capitalist temptation (I'm guilty of it too, I confess to being a cold capitalist) to consume our natural resources and nature, and by doing so pollute, and ultimately creating global warming. So why aren't the things Deus mentioned comparable with global warming - all of those are our fault.

Those things that Deus stated had nothing to do with global warming. Global warming isn't real, but what he stated is. They are our fault. That much (about our fault) is agreeable.

Guest dragonb111
Which planet are YOU living on?

I live on earth. What I meant to say was that Global Warming isn't the reality most people look at it. What I mean by that is that it's not gonna end the world. Sorry about the confusion.

I live on earth.

owl_orly.png

What I meant to say was that Global Warming isn't the reality most people look at it. What I mean by that is that it's not gonna end the world. Sorry about the confusion.

Look, I don't know what bs your science teacher has been feeding you (let's not even start discussing evolution), but like it or not, global warming _is_ reality, be it caused by man or nature. And whilst it might not end the world, it damn well might cause a new ice age for all we know. Unfortunately we haven't been able to build a reliable model to predict what'll happen, but it isn't looking too good right now.