Nov 08 May 09 title #1

ibi

true that.. i shall try not to slack on others :(

do you know any examples that will be appropriate for this topic?..im sorry im so not TOK-gifted :S..

heyy, i'm doing this essay title too and so far the main example that i have is medecine and ethics/morality. concepts such as euthanasia, abortion etc. would definitely be banned if only the medical facts were taken into account but then when ethics and morality kick in it makes it impossible to be that black and white about it!

i hope that helped! :(

xo

Hi! im also doing my essay on this topic. try

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi...18214431AAKnZA9

Im thinking of the structure that makes a pile of bricks a house or the "cement". Are there any good examples of how "structure" helps support an accumulation of facts into science.. :sadnod:

thx in advanced

Science is all about understanding, no? The "facts" that you learn at an early age serve as a foundation for the information you learn later on in the sciences. However, an accumulation of facts (memorizing information) serves nothing to the purpose of understanding.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This question states: discuss in relation to science and AT LEAST one other area of knowledge.

Does anyone know if it be okay to use issues from more then one area of knowledge then?? Or

would it be better just to compare science to only one other AOK?

hi!

I was very happy to see that this many people have chosen this subject cause I've been working non-stop on this essay for a whole day and I still didn't write a word.

and now I decided that I need help :innocent:

My biggest problem is that I cannot find ANY examples. I mean I want to say I agree with the guy but cant find sufficient amount of support for my thesis. :dash:

I saw this one example here about not being able to construct sentences without learning words and that was perfect but Istill need a LOT more :S

And I'm also wondering what all you guys think bout this quote I mean do you agree with it or not or maybe both...and why? I agree because every bit of knowledge forms up sistematically to produce scientific laws right? or maybe they are sufficient on their own!! GOD!! am I confused or what :P

well thanks to everyone beforhand

^_^

Edited by ssgoktas

• 2 weeks later...
I would also relate the question to the ways of knowing. What I mean is that for Sciences to be built from facts your first need perception (to acquire these facts) and then reason. Facts alone without reason seem useless for me; if they are not processed in some way they will not build anything. This is my opinion, I hope it is useful for your essay.

yes that is a good point.

going back to the cell theory. if you said that the theory is the base of biology then what would you say is the base for history?

• 3 weeks later...

Well i must say it's good to know im not the only one struggling with the title!

Spent the day thinking about it and come up with some ideas but trying to get them on paper so that they make some sense is proving to be quite a challenge.

So far I know im going to compare natural sciences to history and ethics but ive had real trouble coming up with a sensible structure so that it doesnt get too long.

Poeple seem to have (sensibly) started it quite a bit earier than me,

any one got any advice on how theirs worked out? :dunno:

• 2 weeks later...