Portfolio Type I -- Koch Snowflake

Sauliooz

thats 192 lines :/ well, ok..

and i guess that like for other IA's i should make a title page, but do i have to make a table of contents or something like that??

and in one place (question 5) i use my GDC do get results of a graph in a table.. GDC of course gives rouded results, like 6.3E-7, 2.1E11.. in the task it says to find values.. so should i also rewrite my results like to 3 significant figures or do i leave them in the table as the GDC gives it??

thats 192 lines :/ well, ok..

and i guess that like for other IA's i should make a title page, but do i have to make a table of contents or something like that??

and in one place (question 5) i use my GDC do get results of a graph in a table.. GDC of course gives rouded results, like 6.3E-7, 2.1E11.. in the task it says to find values.. so should i also rewrite my results like to 3 significant figures or do i leave them in the table as the GDC gives it??

About the table of contents, the more stuff you put the better, so i would definately include a table of contents; but no it's not necessary. As far as the rounding problem goes, what you are talking about is probably the zeroes of the calculator, right? The calculator uses Newton's method to estimate the zero of a function (if you don't know what that is, it's just a way of finding the zero of a function using calculus: X2 = X1 - (function at X1/derivate at X1), were X2 is the second iteration and X1 is the first) To make things easier, you can pretty much just write 0 because those numbers are extremely small, and if you really wanna be anal about it and write them just use scientific notation.

thank you :D my IA Type 1 is now officialy finished and handed to the teacher..

i was proud of myself until i saw Type 2.. I can choose what kind of task i want to do.. and as i understand i chose the hardest one..

it includes logistic function:

hydroelectric project is expected to create a large lake into which some fish are to be placed.. 10,000 fish introduced into the lake.. population increases by 50% in the first year, but the long term sustainable limit would be 60,000..

I have to write two ordered pairs in the form (u0, r0), (un, rn) where Un = 60,000. Hence, determine the slope and equation of the linear growth factor in terms of Un...

u0 should be 10,000 and r0 should be 1,5

un 60,000 ? and rn should be 1, because the population does not increase anymore..

the slope of linear growth factor should be decreasing

but that's all i can think of.. what is the equation of the linear growth factor??

latter i will have to find logistic function model for u(n+1), etc. but at first i have to find that growth factor..

EDIT:

here are some links that i have found, related to logistic functions

http://www.wmueller.com/precalculus/families/1_80.html

http://math.jccc.net:8180/webMathematica/M...rtin/logisticDE

HELP!

p.s. i know that this task is quite hard, but that is the reason why i chose it

Edited by Sauliooz

I'm sorry but you're a bit stupid if you chose the hard one on purpose. You aren't going to be given any special grading for doing that. They're going to decimate you. Your best bet would have been to choose the easiest and work on that to get the highest marks you can. By doing that, you get a few more percentage points towards your diploma

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, im in the middle of doing my Math IA (Koch Snowflake) right now *coughI'mnotprocrastinatingatallcough* :yes: and i really dont know how they want us to "verify our predictions" and generalisations. Since you've done yours already, Sauliooz, would you mind shedding some light on that??

if this is question 3 you are talking about, where you have to 'verify that your generalizations apply consistently to the sets of values produced in the table' then it is simply checking the values. You should have already created formulas (or 'a statement in terms of n that generalizes the behaviour shown in its graph') so you simply insert n=0;1;2;3 into your newly created formulas and indicate that the results are the same as in your table (from question 1)..

"On a sidenote, you don't actually need to draw the snowflake by yourself. We received an example IA from last year, which received 19/20, and the Koch snowflake was copied from some site to there."

My teacher said we had to draw it by hand. :0

If you do.. you need to choose an appropriate initial side length, since you have to divide it by three more than once.. otherwise it won't work

My teacher said we had to draw it by hand. ohmy.gif

If you do.. you need to choose an appropriate initial side length, since you have to divide it by three more than once.. otherwise it won't work

Nah, you don't. Besides, you boost your technology criterion by getting it online.

• 3 weeks later...
its probably best to draw it by hand, thats what everyone in my class did

Not true. As mentioned above, you can get credit in the technology criterion. My sister got 19/20 on her IA (missed the point in effort) and she just found a picture of the snowflake online.

• 1 month later...
Not true. As mentioned above, you can get credit in the technology criterion. My sister got 19/20 on her IA (missed the point in effort) and she just found a picture of the snowflake online.

i was reading this forum a little while ago because i was all worried about HL maths and suprise suprise i got this IA yesterday!!

sorry to harp on about this but if we do get the picture for stage 4 online....do you just reference where you got it from and copy paste into your IA?

i did download the program suggested above too, if i decide to use the picture from that do i just say 'i used this program from this website blah blah blah'??

ack! so many quesitons because its my first IA!!

thanks in advance :)

Haha, how random- I got the same portfolio just a week ago. As for the 4th question, I used a program on the internet to sketch the 4th stage- everyone's said that your technology marks get boosted up so...

It's due tomorrow, but I haven't and can't be bothered to do a contents page... *crosses fingers*

• 2 years later...