Type I -- Stellar Number

ibworking

Another thing...

So I noticed that the relation between the stages is connected with the multiples of 12. After stating that, can I just write down the expression for the 6-stellar no. at stage 7 and then explain what it means (that it is a sum of the value of the previous stage plus sth)?

Aaww thank you so much! :) That's really going to help me! :)

I hope I'm not asking for too much but there's this question, 'produce the general statement in terms of p and n, that generates the sequence of p-stellar numbers for any value of p at stage Sn'

I don't get it..are we like..supposed to join the two formulas or?

You are welcome :thankyou:

Nope, that's ok :) it's my 'job' to answer questions here :P

You need to summarise it. I suggest putting a table so you can see the pattern very clearly :) the pattern is very obvious anyway.

For example: (random examples, really)

When p=1, Sn=2n+1

When p=2, Sn=4n+2

When p=3, Sn=6n+3

When p=4, Sn=8n+4

So for that question, the answer would be Sn=2pn+p :D

what do they mean by general statement?

A general expression in the form of a formula of Sn in terms of n.

An example would be Sn=2n+1

Another thing...

So I noticed that the relation between the stages is connected with the multiples of 12. After stating that, can I just write down the expression for the 6-stellar no. at stage 7 and then explain what it means (that it is a sum of the value of the previous stage plus sth)?

IMO that would be fine as long as you use mathematical terms to explain it. At that stage have you found the expression of S6? Or are you going to express S7 in terms of S6 and n?

As long as you mathematically justify that, I guess that would be fine :/

You are welcome :thankyou:

Nope, that's ok :) it's my 'job' to answer questions here :P

You need to summarise it. I suggest putting a table so you can see the pattern very clearly :) the pattern is very obvious anyway.

For example: (random examples, really)

When p=1, Sn=2n+1

When p=2, Sn=4n+2

When p=3, Sn=6n+3

When p=4, Sn=8n+4

So for that question, the answer would be Sn=2pn+p :D

Hehe Thank you!! :D

And I sooooooooooooooo get it now! I see it :) Thank you :)

what do they mean by general statement?

Well for the general statement of the 6-stellar numbers I got 6n2-6n+1 :)

I have been assigned stellar numbers portfolio for this year, which is due in two-three weeks. I have been working on it for a while, and I have figure most of it out. The only thing I'm stumped on is the star numbers formula relating to terms of n. I have got the formula which works but I have no idea what to do to get the formula. Any help given would be appreciated.

You can mail me at ****** (PM me)

I can adumbrate the process.

Edited by Desy ♫
do not post your email address here

Hey, just wondering,

What is meant by "Test the validity of the general statement." How would you test it? Would you use some sort of a graphical solution, or would yo just try to sub in other values of p and n...?

Please help.

Thanks

Ok FYI in Math HL IA we are supposed to prove any conjecture or general statement we come up with. But in Math SL IA you do not need to go far to that extent, but you do need to 'test its validity'. It's actually the same, you need to sort of prove it but you do not need to give a formal proof. You are just asked to justify your general statement.

I guess you can try for other values of p and n. However it would be even better if you can 'prove' your general statement graphically or even algebraically (other methods than the one you used to come up with the GS) :)

Hey :)

are we suppose to explain each calculation step by step? because that's what it says in the assessment criteria B:communication.

Thnaks :)

Of course. If there is any calculation made, you should put a screenshot of the calculation in your GDC or something... Show all working. Try not to skip necessary steps. Explain what you are doing, don't just show letters and numbers without telling what they represent or where they come from. :)

Of course. If there is any calculation made, you should put a screenshot of the calculation in your GDC or something... Show all working. Try not to skip necessary steps. Explain what you are doing, don't just show letters and numbers without telling what they represent or where they come from. :)

Thanks! :) also how would you find the quadratic best fit curve? in autograph..i plotted sn against n but then im stuck :/

Thanks! :) also how would you find the quadratic best fit curve? in autograph..i plotted sn against n but then im stuck :/

You have plotted all the data points as co-ordinates in 2D Graph, right?

Select all the points

Right click

Select Best Fit

The Best Fit Polynomial dialog box will appear. Because you want a quadratic function, set the Order as 2.

Click OK

Click at the graph, the equation will appear in the status bar. Or just see the Results Box. :)

If there is anything else, just ask :)

Hi everybody,

So I starting my portfolio only now and want to hear your opinion what graphs should I include? should I include stellar shapes? and how approximately words did you write?

All your answer will help me a lot

Thank you,

May want to include the stellar diagrams...

Also may plot Sn against n

I suggest writing >10 pages :D but I don't know since I didn't do this task :P

• Like 1

I'm probably missing something plainly obvious here, but for both the triangle and stellar numbers my x and y values are one off. Eg. for the stellar numbers I have the equation y=6S^2+6S+1, but when y=1 x=13. What I need to get is when y=1 x=1 and y=2 x=13. I know what equation I am supposed to get, but I don't know how. I am using the method of finite differences by the way.

Thanks.

I'm probably missing something plainly obvious here, but for both the triangle and stellar numbers my x and y values are one off. Eg. for the stellar numbers I have the equation y=6S^2+6S+1, but when y=1 x=13. What I need to get is when y=1 x=1 and y=2 x=13. I know what equation I am supposed to get, but I don't know how. I am using the method of finite differences by the way.

Thanks.

Yeah it's close enough! Too bad you can't get the correct formula :( umm I think that should work, maybe you made a little careless mistake when working out the formula. Check your working once again! Remember S1=1! :)

• Like 1

The triangle equation in terms of n is .5n(n+1)

_____________n= 1_______2__________3________4__________5________ 6_________7

triangular number= 1_______3__________6_______10_________15_______21_________28

relationship... _____1/1=1__3/2=1.5__6/3=2__10/4=2.5__15/5=3__21/6=3.5__28/7=4

The stellar equation in terms of n and p is (n-1)(pxn)+1

____________ n= 1________2__________3________4

___stellar number= 1_______13________37_______73

relationship recognizing p as 6 in this instance and seeing that all stellar numbers - 1 are a multiple of 6...

stellar number-1= 0________12_________36_______72

multiples... ______0,0______1,12_______2,18____3,24

________________ so then.... (n-1) give the first multiple and (6n) gives the second multiple and then add 1

________________so (6n)(n-1)+1 and therefore (pn)(n-1)+1

:)

my question is how doe i write this up... like what format. Our teachers aren't very helpful. I've done a type two. Do I need some sort of background for this one as with G-Force?

• Like 1

Thanks.

Yeah it's close enough! Too bad you can't get the correct formula :( umm I think that should work, maybe you made a little careless mistake when working out the formula. Check your working once again! Remember S1=1! :)

I haven't been able to work it out, so I've decided to cut my losses and use a different method. I am now using the method of finite differences to find the degree of the polynomial, and simultaneous equations to find the equation. A bit convoluted, but it gets the job done.

Thanks for your help.

I hope someone can help me!

I've got it down to the end, but I can't figure out how to explain the limitations... will it work with a three pointed star? I have a computer program that makes the diagram, but it won't let me make a three pointed star... D:

Edited by Phoenix