Type I -- Stellar Number

ibworking

but how do we use technology in this?? i m totally clueless...plzzz help! i dont know how to use geogebra for sketching stars..!! plzz help IB'IANS..

Here it is

Here's a blog post with a downloadable program at the bottom that lets you automatically create all sorts of stars for this project (if it ever gets assigned again):

http://luckytoilet.w...-math-homework/

Screenshot:

oIdBd.gif

This is pretty sweet in my opinion.

Edited by sweetnsimple786
No textspeak, please.
  • Like 1

to las guy: it doesn't work with the first term

Posted Sep 13, 2010 - 23:16

Both of the sequences have a common side which is n

you can also use kn+p as a kind of formula. About genereal statement you just need to say that i count the points in the sequences and it has a formula "kn+p".

You just need to look over LaFin's previous post on the topic. Both of the sequences are designed with sigma summation.

Hi :P

I am trying to do the triangle part, and I have read previous replys to get some ideas, and I think I have found a good general statment, but I do not fully understand how to explain why it is a second degree polynomial... ? can someone help me :o

And another question, how can you justify the assumption that c=0

Edited by tusta

I am just about done but i was wondering what the difference between find an expression for the 6-stellar number at stage S7 and the question that says find a general statement for the 6-stellar number at stage Sn, in terms of n. Because from what i understand the only way wud be to develop the Sn statement first and then sub 7 in for n to get the answer. Although im not sure this is correct. Could anyone please tell me what these questions are asking and the difference?

I am just about done but i was wondering what the difference between find an expression for the 6-stellar number at stage S7 and the question that says find a general statement for the 6-stellar number at stage Sn, in terms of n. Because from what i understand the only way wud be to develop the Sn statement first and then sub 7 in for n to get the answer. Although im not sure this is correct. Could anyone please tell me what these questions are asking and the difference?

Formulas can be represented implicitly and explicitly, (eg. explicitly an = 2n2 + n)(eg. implicitly an = an-1 + 3).

The implicit formula is saying, take the term before and do something to it. The explicit formula is giving you a way of calculating a term by simply knowing what term you are looking for.

Perhaps you can represent S7 in an implicit formula rather than an explicit formula.

What kind of thing do they mean when they say "discuss the scope of this formula?

I think it's basically asking, will this formula hold true for all values? What is the range of values for which this will work? Is this formula completely conclusive?

Edited by Sublime Sunshine

Ok my issue with this, is that it asks that the candidate use technology as to improve their portfolio but I can't find a program to use for the portfolio, does it have to be a software and if so, does anyone have suggestions of softwares(free perhaps :) )? I heared about some program called geobra (or something like that :P ) but found that it would be of no help. So any ideas on softwares?

Ok my issue with this, is that it asks that the candidate use technology as to improve their portfolio but I can't find a program to use for the portfolio, does it have to be a software and if so, does anyone have suggestions of softwares(free perhaps :) )? I heared about some program called geobra (or something like that :S ) but found that it would be of no help. So any ideas on softwares?

There's this program called Inkscape that I used to make my triangles and stars. You can also use Photoshop or Paint. My teacher also said that if you have a GDC (Graphing Display Calculator) that counts as well. Just mention in your IA what you used and where.

Hope this helps! I'm working on mine now! :) Best of luck!

• Like 1

Ok my issue with this, is that it asks that the candidate use technology as to improve their portfolio but I can't find a program to use for the portfolio, does it have to be a software and if so, does anyone have suggestions of softwares(free perhaps :D )? I heared about some program called geobra (or something like that :) ) but found that it would be of no help. So any ideas on softwares?

There's this program called Inkscape that I used to make my triangles and stars. You can also use Photoshop or Paint. My teacher also said that if you have a GDC (Graphing Display Calculator) that counts as well. Just mention in your IA what you used and where.

Hope this helps! I'm working on mine now! :) Best of luck!

Yeah that really helps thanks :):blink: (really wanted to use that at least once :P)