Type I -- Stellar Number

ibworking

XD HELP ME PLEASE :read::P:rofl:

Okay, so i've got this math portfolio due tomorrow, and one of the questions says to find a general statement that represents the nth triangular term in terms of n. The question is based on the triangular numbers sequence. It has a pattern of 1, 3, 6, 10, 15, etc... The teacher wants us to explain where the equation came from and that's where I'm stuck at.

The equation for the pattern is n(n+1)/2

My theory for it is that it is based off of the area of a triangle which is 1/2bh. I was thinking that "n" is b and(n+1) is h. I'm scared that i'm making stuff up and I can't get a bad grade on this portfolio! XD So if you can, please help me out ASAP. Thanks 8-)

Edited by mathisahoochie

So i'm working on that stellar sheet too and I am SO confused by everything that has been said. I still can't find a general statement. Is there any way anyone can break it down for me?

I understand adding the multiples of 12 to get the next answer but that's pretty much it! :rofl: will someone PLEASE help me asap?

I've been trying to incorporate the triangular numbers sequence with it since it's pretty much two triangles smooshed together but i am CLUELESS.

Edited by mathisahoochie

I think you need to prove it analytically. Let me guide you but not give the answer.

1, 3, 6, 10, 15, ...

Do you notice such a pattern? The difference is:

2, 3, 4, 5, ...

Can you see a pattern again? Can you find the Un of the triangular numbers if you can find the Un of the difference?

The working for this question is not very long, can be done within a number of lines. Good luck!

I am having trouble with the scopes and limitations part. The formula that i made doesnt have many scopes and limitations rather than the numbers having to be whole numbers but greater than one. I can not think of any limitations to the formula i have generated but my teacher claims that i should investigate more since there are more limitiation. Could anyone help me in any hint or any other way to figure out any others scopes or limitations?

I would love to post the formula i got on here but I do not want to break any rules of answer posting. If a mod or supervisor could please contact me so that i can give them the formula and they can help me out. Or if you already know the formula could you please hint on how to get more limitations or scops?

THanks, help is very much appreciated.

I really need help FAST! my portfolio is due this thursday so i got 2 more days. I have gotten my general formula but i am struggling heavilty on the limitations part of it. I know this because while i was working on it my teacher told me to think about other/more limitations. So far all i got is that n must be a natural number meaning only postive whole numbers.

PLEASE HELP ASAP. Im running out of time. please, any help or hint is appreciated for this part.

I have finished my work, but i didnt draw the stellar numbers as requested. Anybody knows how to do them in the pc?

Please, HELP!

I just have a simple question, if i find the images for stellar numbers with other values of P in google, will they reduce me marks?

If it does ill just have to use Geogebra.

http://luckytoilet.wordpress.com/2010/06/30/investigations-about-star-polygons-inspired-by-someone-elses-math-homework/

Download the stellar.jar program at the bottom of the page. Try looking around a thread for answers before you ask a question lol. If any of the answers don't suit your individual problem, then ask for help :P . I'm saying this because this program has been mentioned a couple of times already.

I really need help FAST! my portfolio is due this thursday so i got 2 more days. I have gotten my general formula but i am struggling heavilty on the limitations part of it. I know this because while i was working on it my teacher told me to think about other/more limitations. So far all i got is that n must be a natural number meaning only postive whole numbers.

PLEASE HELP ASAP. Im running out of time. please, any help or hint is appreciated for this part such as what type of numbers i should try and more.

I know you have said this twice now because no one replied, but trust me if someone here knew they would reply..

Did you try looking through all pages of this topic? Maybe they mentioned the problem you're having somewhere?

Yes, I have looked through the thread and am panicking because i can not find any other limitaitons when there are others.

Do the questions need to be answered in any particular order, or can we for example first find the general statement and then the next two terms?

I was wondering whether I need to prove the formula algebraically for the p-stellar number sequence that I got and whether that is even possible, or should I just do some examples for other p-stellar numbers.

Thanks.

First question: I would ask your teacher to be sure, but I would just go along with the order of the questions. :) You don't want to throw something new in the middle of the development of another argument. In my opinion, it would break the flow.

Question number two-You can always try and do both. If proving the formula algebraically is difficult for you, then try to use a few examples of other p-stellar numbers. With the general formula I have now, (even though I haven't proved it algebraically yet) I would be able to prove it algebraically. Think, did one way of finding the formula for the INDIVIDUAL p-stellar formulas work everytime? Then, you would just have to put variables for the numbers you used for that p-stellar number(s).

As always, ask your teacher to makes sure.

Also, I would recommend that you prove it with other p-stellar numbers, you want to actually show that your general statement works with real numbers. By real, I don't mean non-complex/imaginary numbers, I mean non-algebraically lol.

Edited by JoeGuff

People seem to be having an issue with technology. A couple ways to use technology effectively (at least according to my math teacher...) is to do the drawings on isometric graph paper and transfer them into the document. It's a matter of using technology to finesse your paper and make it look more clean and more advanced. This involves being creative with getting your graphs onto the paper, how you draw and use tables, etc.

but how do we use technology in this?? i m totally clueless...plzzz help! i dont know how to use geogebra for sketching stars..!! plzz help IB'IANS..

Here it is

Here's a blog post with a downloadable program at the bottom that lets you automatically create all sorts of stars for this project (if it ever gets assigned again):

http://luckytoilet.w...-math-homework/

Screenshot:

oIdBd.gif

This is pretty sweet in my opinion.

Wish I'd seen this earlier. I completely missed it when I replied to one of these quotes. My flash player/whatever wasn't working. A thumbs up/+1 for you my friend!

• Like 1

While I've finished almost everything for this portfolio, how many p-stellar numbers do you recommend using when it asks you to "repeat the above steps"? I have already tested two different p-stellar numbers, but should I do more? This question isn't of drastic importance, just wondering if I can fix up my portfolio before I turn it in lol.

Edited by JoeGuff

Hello,

I have a quick question about the Maths SL IA, Specifically stellar numbers. When showing the method used to obtain the formula for each geometrical number do we show the method each time we use it? or do we just state the method at the start and refer back to it for each shape?