Type I -- Stellar Number

ibworking

For the first time (first shape), you need to include all the important steps and show some figures. Make sure that you do not skip any step. Explain any step clearly but not too wordy, and say something like:

To draw a circle, click icon X and put the desired radius in the "Radius" textbox. In this case I want a radius of 6 units. (for example)

For the next shape, do not write all the same steps again, just say:

Draw a circle with a radius of 7 units with the similar steps described before. (for example)

Then just go to the next section where you might need to put the result or something..

If there is any difference in steps for a different shape, mention the different steps only and refer back to the previous descriptions if there is any same step.

I hope you get what I mean. Sample IAs can be found in this forum in the Files section, but you need to be a VIP or purchase the VIP subscription to be able to download them.

I asked my teacher the same question, and she said that it would take to long to explain, and is beyond the scope/difficulty of the SL course lol. If you have a Graphic Display Calculator (GDC) you can do it on there, or if you have a program like Excel, you can also do it on there. There are other ways to show your work in this Portfolio. Plus, you get technology marks if you use a GDC, Excel.

In my opinion, doing regression on Texas Instrument calculators is extremely simple, and shouldn't take longer than a minute to do. The calculator will do all the work for you, the only thing that takes long is going through the menus/catalogs lol.

Hey everyone,

Since finishing my math portfolio, I figured I would post the images I used for everyone to have and use. Yay!

I have the images hosted here:

http://sites.google.com/site/ibstellarnumbers/home

Hey thanks for the link.

I kinda want to do it by myself for integrity.

Could you provide the download link for the program you used or the name of the program you used?

• Like 1

Hi everybody,

I've found the general statement (recursive and quadratic) but need help with testing validity.

I created a table with the values at n=0 -> n=7 for p=5 and p=6, with the quadratic equation as a third column

Is this enough? I don't know of any other way to prove this (geometric figures...?)

Hi everybody,

I've found the general statement (recursive and quadratic) but need help with testing validity.

I created a table with the values at n=0 -> n=7 for p=5 and p=6, with the quadratic equation as a third column

Is this enough? I don't know of any other way to prove this (geometric figures...?)

Yes, try using one of the FREE web programs that are listed many times throughout this thread. You can't miss them.

Good luck :D

Just remember to cite the programs, using MLA, APA, or whatever.

Don't just put the image there without an explanation. Make sure to say the significance of the image, and how it tests the validity.

Oh, and it's not that Geogebra thing people are talking about. :)

Guest JustAnotherMasochist.

Hey, i just got the stellar number portfolio and sheet and i am really lost on how to do it, infact, even how to start it. Any suggestions and tips would be helpful. If any of you could upload or email me yours that would be greatly appreciated. Don't worry i won't plagiarize or copy any. Thank you:)

We're not here to swap IAs. What exactly are you confused about? You said you don't know how to start it. What do you think the instructions want you to do?

Hey, its not dat difficult...for da second part, as its a quadratic, u have 2 do it like this: -

1) 1st term=a(x^2) + b(x) + c

as 1st term = 1... 1=a(1^2) + b(1) + c => a+b+c=1.

thus the same way u continue for the next three terms and u'll get 3 simultaneous equations. solve them and u'll get values for a,b,c...now dat u have these values u get da general statement as a quadratic...u can validate and see dat it works...

could you explain what the variables a, b, and c represent?

Hey everyone,

Since finishing my math portfolio, I figured I would post the images I used for everyone to have and use. Yay!

I have the images hosted here:

http://sites.google.com/site/ibstellarnumbers/home

Hey thanks for the link.

I kinda want to do it by myself for integrity.

Could you provide the download link for the program you used or the name of the program you used?

He has it posted under the "How I did it" section with links to download the respective programs. c:

Is it necessary to add a graph to this particular IA? The directions themselves do not ask for one. However, my teacher seemed to think that a graph was necessary for every single math IA. I just don't see how a graph fits into to the portfolio.

I understand that I could graph the patterns, but I'm not sure how much they are needed.

Is there a software program that can be used to add the need pictures (for technology) of the different stellar as well as the increasing ones, and a way that I can create the triangular numbers as well?

http://luckytoilet.wordpress.com/2010/06/30/investigations-about-star-polygons-inspired-by-someone-elses-math-homework/

http://sites.google.com/site/ibstellarnumbers/images/triangles

Both are free, and should work on your computer. Good luck. :D

• Like 1

Hi, I'm new on this forum so please don't bite but...

I have a GDC and my teacher said that we must use this if we want to get good marks. But how do I use for sequences? I've almost finished but I haven't used a GDC throughout so I haven't a clue what I can do.

HELP! :)