Portfolio Type I -- Patterns from Complex Numbers

area? am I missing something or are you doing extra work? you don't need to work out the area of the polygon do you?

your conjecture is like the general statement of the length or distance between two roots (part A) and the roots of the complex numbers (part B). the former involves cos, the latter is just using some cis stuffs.

to prove it, you can do exactly the same thing that you did with each value of n, now with the variable n instead of numbers.

I used a program called geogebra, which calculated the area for me automatically. I also used microsoft excel as a program to calculate my values for z^n-1, using =COS(k*2*PI()/n) for a and =SIN(k*2*PI()/n) for b where z^n = a+bi (anyone else whos doing the IA should do this, it makes things alot less tedious) but i havent gotten to the second half of the IA yet.

• Like 1

I used a program called geogebra, which calculated the area for me automatically. I also used microsoft excel as a program to calculate my values for z^n-1, using =COS(k*2*PI()/n) for a and =SIN(k*2*PI()/n) for b where z^n = a+bi (anyone else whos doing the IA should do this, it makes things alot less tedious) but i havent gotten to the second half of the IA yet.

I've done this IA, and I don't think that you need to calculate the area. For part A, you just need to get the distances between the roots of the given equations, get a conjecture, and prove the conjecture.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

guys..have you actually thought about limitations?i have been told to pay close attention to the mark scheme..in generalization you would need to write the limitations if you carefully read...and this then mean what happens if the n is zero or any negative number...have you thought about it?i think very important even though is not stated in the IA as a bullet point

i've done the same thing as you and also got the same conclusion that as 'n' tends to infinity, the area tends to pi

i know that they didn't ask anything about the area but i was told that they appreciate any incentive from the students' side.

Hey guy;

i think most of you guys already finished the internal assessment for Maths; but i kinda started it now.

i understand that we have to write it likr a report. how could you do that?

i am always crap at starting things off,,

any ideas for introduction?

and also..

i've solved z^3-1=0.

but i have to plot the roots on an argand diagram as well as a unit circle with centre origin.. how do i do that?

and how could i draw a line segment from one root to another??

Help would be really appreciate it.. as i have not got any time!!

:(

thanks a lot!!

:)

Hey guy;

i think most of you guys already finished the internal assessment for Maths; but i kinda started it now.

i understand that we have to write it likr a report. how could you do that?

i am always crap at starting things off,,

any ideas for introduction?

Have a good look at this --> http://www.ibsurvival.com/topic/12330-mathematics-portfolio-tips-for-hl-and-sl/

and also..

i've solved z^3-1=0.

but i have to plot the roots on an argand diagram as well as a unit circle with centre origin.. how do i do that?

and how could i draw a line segment from one root to another??

Help would be really appreciate it.. as i have not got any time!!

:(

thanks a lot!!

:)

I suggest getting Autograph, a graphing software. it's not a freeware but there is a 30 days trial version available on the net. get it first, then I'll tell you the steps. otherwise it might be useless as you might not want to use that software haha :P

• 2 weeks later...

guys please i need help

i am stuck at bullet number 7,8

* Use graphing software to test your conjecture for some more values of n 􀀀 and make

modifications to your conjecture if necessary.

* Prove your conjecture.

and in part B

in the last two bullet

please anyone tell me how to generalize ????

what do they mean by this ?

and what happens when |a+bi| not equal 1 ??

please help guys

thanks

Hey

Aren't the HL portfolio task the following Only??! :

Task 1:

How many pieces

patterns within systems of linear equations

Task 2:

Running with Angie and Buddy

Modelling a functional building

the tasks that you listed are meant for 2011 and 2012 students.

there are new tasks for 2012 and 2013 students:

type 1

* Shadow functions

* Patterns from complex numbers

type 2

* The dice game

* Filling up the petrol tank

if you're a 2012 students, you can choose from the 11/12 tasks and from the 12/13 tasks.