Portfolio Type I -- Patterns from Complex Numbers

What are we supposed to prove for z^n=a+bi, where la+bil=1?

As best as I understood it, we simply need to expand our conjecture to include this contingency and then (if necessary) prove whatever expansion has been made.

Finally, if possible, one should also expand the conjecture to include all equations of the form z = a + ib

I believe that proving, in the portfolio, is the hardest part.

I have my conjecture and i have my "formula", and Im planning to prove it by induction.

However, by formula is a..multiplication formula? and not addition. Induction is for like.. addtions isnt it?

I have no idea how to prove this..

• 4 weeks later...

hi guys,

I, too, have a few doubts...

firstly. formulating the conjecture----q1. we have to formulate a conjecture between what? length and power of z right?

secondly, wanted a few hints so that i can at least get a direction as to what the conjecture might be.. :P

lastly, i wanted to know what does 'generalizing' exactly mean?? ( part b, third bullet point)

and please help.. have to submit the portfolio tomorrow :/

z2-1=(z-1)(1+z)

z3-1=(z-1)(1+z+z2)

See a pattern?

Well.... my conjecture was related to lengths, then my teacher told me to reconsider, and i thought what does factorizing have to do, it didn't fit, but u just gave me a guideline, now if i only relate this to lengths :S,

and thx alot :D!

I have got the conjecture for part A...can anyone who has completed the portfolio tell me if it is right. Also I have no idea about the link between the factorising and the conjecture. For part B , do i need to develop an equation with respect to the roots ? I am really confused about part B. Can someone please help me?

Thanks in advance!