7 in Maths SL

hel

I need some tips how to achieve the highest possible grade in SL Maths... I know everyone has their own ways but maybe there's some techniques I haven't thought off...

I'm currently

• doing past exam papers
  • ocr revision guide - solving more questions
  • looking at the topics I find difficult (from the past exam papers etc) - watching tutorials/doing more exam questions from that topic
  • re-doing the exam papers

I doubt note taking will help for maths.

PS: I'm not very confident with GDC, and I wonder if there are any good websites that can help you with that?

• Like 1

I need some tips how to achieve the highest possible grade in SL Maths... I know everyone has their own ways but maybe there's some techniques I haven't thought off...

I'm currently

• doing past exam papers
  • ocr revision guide - solving more questions
  • looking at the topics I find difficult (from the past exam papers etc) - watching tutorials/doing more exam questions from that topic
  • re-doing the exam papers

I doubt note taking will help for maths.

PS: I'm not very confident with GDC, and I wonder if there are any good websites that can help you with that?

keep doing that ;)

That's basically it. I also suggest going through your book chapters and doing a couple of exercises from each section, to seek out areas of weakness (that is, areas where you need to revise). There's usually a pattern in the way questions are listed, like the last questions are the hardest, and if that's the case, you know which ones to look for...

Also, go through your data booklet, and learn the location of each formula. Print out an extra copy and annotate it. Eventually you should be able to design questions to test knowledge of any of these equations from memory from the past papers, which is very useful when it comes to the exam. There are usually standard question-types, like the two ways of finding the inverse of a matrix, or the two ways of calculating the scalar product of vectors... Since for Maths everything you need is in the data booklet, familiarity with it is very useful.

Finally, learning to use your calculator to your advantage - with trig graphs, for example, you should be able to rapidly change the window and graph the function on your calculator, to check, for example, if you've drawn it right. Another incredibly useful tool for batch-calculations or working backwards when you're lost is to put your calculator's independent value, in the table settings section, on Set (instead of Auto). Then (in Table ... Ti84 its 2nd, then Graph i think) you can have multiple equations; you type in any value for X, and each column spits out a value corresponding to the right equation. This might not make much sense, I'm a bit rushed for time and took the exam last year, but the basic concept is to take advantage of your calculator's table and graphing functions for maximum efficiency.

Also, from personal experience, the hardest part of the non-calculator paper involves manipulating trig functions. Calculus is often mixed with trig, which can get a bit confusing, but for the most part calculus (at least for SL) is the easier part of the syllabus. Don't do past papers blindly; try to focus on the questions you are weak with.

Also, do past papers in exam conditions, and keep grading yourself. Try to keep track of where you are and where you're heading. Goal-based learning is always best, and if your goal is to get a 7 in Math SL (a worthy goal!) work with that in mind.

• Like 3