Rewriting notes onto a computer!

stylusdef

Personally i prefer to type and i type for every of my courses except Math right into my computer...i hate my handwriting plus i wanna save enrgy and be organized!!

i think it's very important to keep track of your notes and it make your life a lot easier when it comes to final exam. Everyone said it all = =

so anyway one quick note... i think most people use Microsoft Word to type their note....i rather use Microsoft OneNote which you can find in your microsoft office if you buy the student one, professional and above. I found it's really good because it keeps track of everything. Once you start a new note, it enter automatically a current date and time according to your computer. It also saves by itself and you can organize your note into several 'binders', 'sections', etc. :( It make my note even more organized and there are many other cool functions!

post-1591-1203475394_thumb.jpg

OH DEAR GOD I think I'm in love..! is that... Is that... Oh my god. That's so beautiful. I hope it's avalible for mac. I'm about to cry... I thought my notepad-thingie in MW08 was great.

And by the way... Buy a laptop! great for typing down everything that gets on the board. And get mindmanager, a program for mindmaps. Mindmaps are good for getting down things that the teacher says, but doesn't write on the board him/her-self

• 2 weeks later...

It really depends on your typing speed and weather or not you learn but rewriting things. I rewrite my notes cause my handwriting isn't the best and in my notebook i use alot of shorthand that my friends don't get so if any of them are absent it is also easier to give them typed notes that they can print or you can print for them.

It seems like a good idea but every time I start I can never really finish typing all I've written, I just put in the first few pages and then realize that it's pretty pointless as long as I have the notes anyways. Any tips?

I don't know, the whole idea of re-writing notes seems kind of pointless to me seeming that I don't even look at the ones I take in class. :lol:

To review, I flip through the text book and re-read the sections that I don't remember.

But if it helps you re-type them, and if it doesn't don't waste your time. :)

• 1 month later...
Guest syrianstar

Our school textbooks are not that great :) (hence I started a new topic where everyone can suggest good textbooks for others; please contribute :D ) and our teachers don't really explain that well so I usually end up coming home (or more specifically the day before the exam :) ) confused and unorganised.

I feel that typing notes is better for me because it helps me to organise my unorganised classes lol and also because it has special advantages, like you can just insert a diagram rather than drawing, it looks neater and also if you spill coffee over your first copy then you can just print another one!

I envy those schools who allow their IB students to come into class with a laptop; it would help so much if my school was like that too.

It seems like a good idea but every time I start I can never really finish typing all I've written, I just put in the first few pages and then realize that it's pretty pointless as long as I have the notes anyways. Any tips?

I have the same problem. We do a test every 4 chapters, but I only get around to typing up two of the chapters' notes per unit, so I only have notes on chapters: 1, 2, 5, 6, 9, 10... etc.

Guest syrianstar
so anyway one quick note... i think most people use Microsoft Word to type their note....i rather use Microsoft OneNote which you can find in your microsoft office if you buy the student one, professional and above.

post-1591-1203475394_thumb.jpg

WOW! This is amazing! :hug:

Microsoft OneNote is so much better than Word - it's easier to organise everything, is colourful and so easy to use. I just love it :P

You know I didn't even know I had it on my computer :P Thank you very much Argiyama, you saved me IB life lol ^_^

personally i prefer to re-write my notes on paper again at home because they say this helps you remember and understand the information and on paper its easier to draw diagrams or make arrows and personalize it lol, although writing it on the computer would make it a lot more organized. So i guess they are both good ways as long as you re-write your notes =P

Yes, I sure do. That's my best way of learning actually, it takes a lot of time, but really, after re-writing everything important you WILL remember it. I find re-writing notes especially good for group 4 subjects, because e.g. the Biology syllabus is very detailed so you can just like make questions out of it and look at your notes in order to write an answer.

• 2 weeks later...

I usually type up all my notes, I like to keep everything organised! I always combine my class notes, handouts, textbook stuff and sometimes questions in assignments that I need to remember... this really helps because it's so much easier to study using one set of notes rather than looking at several different sources. It's also much neater and by separating things into different sections/chapters, it makes it easier to revise. I type it all up because writing it by hand would be so much more time consuming!

Also I find that having a set of organised notes is not the only benefit from typing up notes... a lot of the time the simple act of writing them up, whether I reread the notes or not, helps me to remember things.

But when it comes to subjects like Maths I just look over the formulas/laws or whatever I need to remember. It's only in subjects where you have to remember a lot, like History and Biology, that I type up notes.

Edited by youcantstopthebeat

I wouldn't say that I would re-write notes per se but rather I summarise onto pocket sized flash cards. I would never do it on computer, though. I always did it by hand. The reasons being that in the exams I wasn't going to be using a computer, so in writing by hand it replicates the exam situation, and also helps improve hand writing. Number 2 reason I find that when I write by hand my writing is of a superior quality. Number 3 reason I find that I summarise using more colourful diagrams, and visually collective techniques which I would find frustrating and near impossible to replicate. number 4 I find computers frustrating in general. Number 5 I like stationery. Number 6 I would be more likely to procrastinate with the computer around.

I wouldn't say that I would re-write notes per se but rather I summarise onto pocket sized flash cards. I would never do it on computer, though. I always did it by hand. The reasons being that in the exams I wasn't going to be using a computer, so in writing by hand it replicates the exam situation, and also helps improve hand writing. Number 2 reason I find that when I write by hand my writing is of a superior quality. Number 3 reason I find that I summarise using more colourful diagrams, and visually collective techniques which I would find frustrating and near impossible to replicate. number 4 I find computers frustrating in general. Number 5 I like stationery. Number 6 I would be more likely to procrastinate with the computer around.

I must say that I think it is great to re-write notes by hand instead, just because that's how you do it during exams. During mocks exams recently I found that writing by hand really affected my result, at least in my school we never write by hand, everything is computer-written, therefore the situation was very unusual, and stressful, - it is much easier to change crappy spelling errors or structure misses when typing.

I've found that when I rewrite notes I remember a lot more. However, when it comes to summarizing 20 pages of history, I tend to use the computer! I find it so difficult to study for a test or an exam from the book...notes are neat, organized, and read easier :P

i do not type my notes on the computer since i think it wastes my time sincei only scan it to be able to finish typing fast and not really revise it!! and personally i dont like studying from notes i prefer my textbooks, as long as they are good ones!!!