Rewriting notes onto a computer!

stylusdef

I don't retype them, I remember my handwritten notes because I always arrange them in an interesting way

For History for example, I'll decorate the heading of the notes in a way that relates to the subject, or even simply use a "font" that represents it.

And then I don't take the notes in straight lines. I use random areas of the page, making long columns or boxes or using an extra colored pen to bring out important words or subheadings of the notes.

The different appearance of each page of notes allows me to memorize better, because I put more thought into organizing it. The general sections are all together though, so it actually is much more organized than it sounds. And when I look through my notes later, they remind me more of a picture book (though theres few actual pictures) than a boring textbook with lots and lots of words.

So, no, i don't type my notes, I just make them interesting the first time. :mellow:

i make study guides from my notes for every test that i have. that way, when its final time, i can just copy and paste from my study guides so im all prepared. plus, it helps when you don't understand something when you read your notes, you can go in and ask from help.

• 2 weeks later...

I handwrite. The physical exertion of task helps me remember... :) I definitely prefer making notes for specific subjects in exercise books that I can keep with me and study when necessary. The use of pens, highlighters and colours make it lot easier. I prefer to type assignments, but I would probably be the most disorganised person ever if I typed notes.

Just another plug for MS One Note 2007 (the new version actually allows you to have multiple notebooks and allows for hyperlinking between notebooks, etc. One Note is especially useful if you have a Tablet PC. If you are going to Uni and considering the purchase of a new laptop, I would highly recommend getting a tablet so that you can ink right on to the screen of the notebook and digitally preserve/organize/annotate everything...

I haven't rewritten any notes yet, but I think I'm going to during the summer break. I think that re-writing will help me a lot, because if you rewrite your notes, you have to think about them again. That will increase the chance of understanding and memorizing information.

However, I do not rewrite the textbooks. My textbooks are full of marks and notes, so when I read them again, I can usually regain the information real quick.

• 2 months later...
emm...

are notes really so beneficial?

i mean we have books where all information can be found.. if you want a summary every chapter has it..

(by now it should be clear that i do not rewrite notes into my computer)

so, does it help you to use notes?

of course it helps, the whole purpose of writing note is to rewrite key points of a lesson in your own way, hence you comprehend much easier when you revise for tests, you don' have to retype the on the copm. i don't

I like talking to myself. And talking to people around me who aren't necessarily listening... only when memorizing scripts though. :P

My writing is legible so I don't have a problem with not re-writing/typing notes after. Prefer them over textbooks as they're more concise and I organize concepts/add in extra notes for clarification.

• 5 months later...

Hi!

I would like to share a few tips of my own, if you have anything to add or comment on feel free to do so!

In my school, I think the main problem people are having (when it comes to exam time) is a lack of true understanding. I don't want this to become a "hate" type of post, but I feel it should be addressed in every school.

I see people (in my year), that pretty much copy textbooks word for word, and then end up with a huge set of notes. Now, this impresses teachers as it shows effort to actually make notes in the first place. Personally, I do not write much notes, but I note down things teachers say in class that I feel will benefit me- every now and then I'll grab a piece of paper and just note down anything important the teacher says when discussing something in that subject. This to me, is not to use for exam study (though it could be), but just for a reminder when I'm trying to understand concepts that are based on the notes I have. I often look back on the basic things, so that I can better understand the hard stuff.

Now, to get more on track with my topic, there are two different types of note taking. Firstly, is the one I have explained- Class Notes. As I explained, these to me are not used to study for exams but for a reminder/better understanding. The other type are Exam Notes. These are notes that should be based on the subject syllabus: notes that cover everything on the syllabus, but not much more. These to me are the "neat" notes that should be short, and concise to the topic you are covering.

I am seeing now that a huge amount of students are making notes from textbooks they are using. Now if done correctly, this can be tremendous help, as it reduces the amount of work you need to do (note-wise) before and while studying for exams. However, the problem I see is that students are making this type of notes incorrectly. They are copying HUGE chunks out of the textbook, copying almost every word, and every diagram. What happens here is that you fill up space in your notebook with truly unnecessary explanations and diagrams that you don't actually need for the exam. A lot of the material in textbooks is expanded for easier understanding- in my opinion, once you understand a certain concept or theory, it is sufficient to note down all the ESSENTIAL points and information, and any ESSENTIAL diagrams. You don't need anything else! If you understand something, once you go back to these key points and diagrams, you will be reminded of the main points.

Don't get me wrong, making detailed notes is never bad. But don't waste your time copying things that are just explained in different ways. Note things that are important to you. Note things that will remind you of the concept later. Don't just blindly copy your whole textbook (sorry for the contradiction).

My method of learning then (note how I didn't say "studying") is just by pure understanding. I've found that people that make a huge amount of notes, most of the time don't actually understand what they have written. I can't tell you the number of people I've asked to explain to me something their notebooks (as I assume they can explain it to me), but reply to me with "I don't actually get it". So I'm thinking "Why the hell did you write down so much then". Learn something by reading up on it in your textbook. Then read up about it in another textbook. Then, find other sources (the internet can be a great source, but also a poor one- use it wisely) and read up about it from there. After that, you should have a detailed understanding. Then during class discussions about the topic, listen in and answer any questions the teacher asks to test your understanding. If you truly understand it, you should be nodding to everything the teacher says when he/she summarizes the topic. I know this sounds like a very casual and relaxed way to cope with IB, but it works for me.

Remember, make sensible notes, that work for you. Don't waste your time and energy writing useless things. READ UP on the subject. Listen during class and be active in discussions. Make sure you ask any questions to the teacher for clarification, or ask queries about the topic (usually this helps you to further understand, or gain more knowledge about the subject which helps with understanding).

I hope this helps. If anyone disagrees feel free to comment (nicely please XD )

Lol, we have no reason to answer rudely.

But anyhow, yeah your tips make sense. I follow a lot of those myself.

But the thing is, everyone uses their own way. These tips maybe be useful and usable by some but not by others.

I think there's a thread for this kind of thing already, but thanks anyways. If this got locked, just know its because there's another thread, although whoever locked it would say so. XD

I don't think anyone will disagree that understanding > memorizing. Once you understand it, you understand it, even if you forget the concepts, once you are reminded, you'll remember them.

I like summarizing notes: I shortened 6 pages of notes for chem to a quarter of a page today. XD

I agree whole heartedly with you.

This is actually how I learn as well.

For every unit I learn in a heavy reading course (ie: biology and psychology) I only allow myself to use one page of essential notes (less is preferable... ideally it would be one unit per index card which is what I do for psych).

For math and physics just the equation and what it's used for.

And for organic just the essential molecules I need to memorize and reaction mechanisms.

It literally pains me to see some of my friends making notes for themselves to study from...

Edited by Ashika

I agree with all of the above. XD Unfortunately for me, I tend to be one of those sad cases who stuff a load of bull into their notes. I find that I feel very anxious if I don't make detailed notes first. I have to make detailed notes to get the concept down. Afterwards, I make the notes a second time with the notes that I made the first time. I keep on repeating, making the note more and more concise, until I feel I'm prepared I'm for the test. Basically, that's how I'd study in an ideal situation with unlimited time. However, I tend to procrastinate, make the detailed note one time, try to cram as much of it as possible into my head, and don't end up with the results that I wanted. Oh well; can't blame no one but myself for that.

I tend to condense the chapters I'm attacking (that way I don't really need to go near my books again), then make a few post-its (depending on post it size) to attach so I know what to go over.I also highlight my notes so that when I'm doing a quick review, but when the post its don't suffice.

I'm the kind of person who wants to know every detail attached, especially when it's random little things that don't fit perfectly into a concept, process, etc. So I leave ample space in my notes to add more stuff.