IBScrewed for Math )':

IBavictim

Hello, I was wondering if any of you have good revision notes, topic outlines, examples (I would greatly appreciate anything, really!) that would save help me(and the rest of my class) for the Math SL Exam. We're the first IB class my teacher has taught and she's pretty new with the whole IB curriculum. She is quite disorganized in comparison to my other IB teachers and I believe we have insufficient notes/examples to help us for the SL exam. According to her, we still haven't done some of the curriculum. Furthermore, we've tried practice exams and we barely knew anything!-and in less than a month, we'll be writing in the exam room.

Yes I know if we really study it shouldn't be that hard but as of now, we have no direction to go. We have no clue where to start and whether we've finished a whole chapter or only 75% of it. I've got some Math books that I'm planning to study from but I still feel uneasy about this whole thing because I don't know what I should know or what I don't need to know. I also don't know what to memorize and what will be given.

I'm sure we'd all be able to do this exam well if we had better notes or explanations but more importantly, topics and subtopics so we know what to review.

You have no idea how worried we all are right now! Honestly, we were all doing very well in IB1 (with a more experienced teacher) but with this teacher, we feel like we'd all be getting 3s and 4s which would really bring our total down. She said the highest mark is only a 5 and only four people are getting it out of her two classes. :crying:

I'm awfully sorry for the long post :sweat:

My class and I would be so grateful for any help we can receive! :')

Thank you so much in advance!

Do you guys use an IB textbook for homework? The textbook my class uses is Haese and Harris and the questions from there are decent. They also show examples in the textbook that are like IB exam questions. If you really want to see the syllabus, here's a link to download it: It's pretty lengthy but gives you structure of exam papers, IAs, and basically what you should know.

Your teacher is supposed to have given you a formula booklet which contains some basic formulae in it (ex. chain rule, sequence/series, derivatives, etc.), so you don't have to memorize them. You can use this booklet during your IB exam, during tests, etc.

The best way to practice for tests, IMO, is to do past paper questions. You'll get used to how the IB phrases questions and what it is they're looking for. They are tricky at first but the more you do, the better. Ask your teacher for some past papers, she should have some.

By the way don't panic about not having finished the syllabus, I haven't finished either but my teacher plans to finish by Easter.

Good luck!

we'd all be getting 3s and 4s which would really bring our total down. She said the highest mark is only a 5 and only four people are getting it out of her two classes. :crying:

Hah. If I could get a 4 I'd be ecstatic. My class just did mock exams in which only 3-4 out of 14 even passed.

It's my own fault I failed, I haven't been paying attention in maths at all. I'm pretty much studying the entire curriculum until the may exam.

Anyway I don't really have any concrete help other than use the resources available to you. There are loads of resources on the internet that can supplement your book and notes. It really helps me.

Aww thanks Summer! I didn't even know a Math data booklet existed and I was frantically trying to memorize every formula I can!

I figured I should start self studying ahead of my teacher's lesson plan because we won't be done until a few days before the exam. =\

Kasper: I'm sure you can do it! I've always paid attention in math class—I really did but she doesn't give thorough explanations and just does the math. We don't get a textbook—she prefers worksheets. To sum up my teacher's method of teaching, it's:

1)Teach a lesson

2)Give worksheets

3)Give the Answer Key. If you have any questions, ask. Repeat Step 1.

Lol goodluck to the both of us! :D

• 2 weeks later...

In my opinion the best approach (rather than writing heaps of notes) is to get a copy of the IB questionbank (a more convenient alternative to past papers), go through the questions topic by topic, and read up on any topics where you're struggling or getting questions wrong. Use a textbook like Hease and Harris for notes on each topic.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...