Are alumni welcome here?

chroot

I dont see why not.

Cool. :D As far as I can tell, the program is basically identical today as when I went through it many moons ago. Although we prided ourselves on IB being in, what, 77 countries? And now it's in 125 countries! Pretty soon it'll be in 15,000 countries!

Good luck to the seniors who are gearing up for the exams!

- Warren

Well, many of our users have already welcomed you, but I also want to welcome you on behalf of the Moderating (and Administrating, I'm sure!) team!

It's great to have an experienced student here! :D

It would be great if you told us your IB subjects and what it was like!

Thanks for the warm welcome, you guys. :D

I'll have to go find my diploma to remind myself exactly what my subjects were, but I believe I took the HL exams in English, Math, Chemistry, and History. My sixth subject was Computer Science. I also took a few AP exams in the some of the same subjects, just in case schools wouldn't accept the IB credits.

I originally went to Florida State University, because they gave me a full honors scholarship. I wanted to study engineering, though, and quickly realized that FSU wasn't for me. I transferred out after a semester, and went to Virginia Tech instead. I was given something like 50 credits for my IB coursework, which sounds like a lot! Unfortunately, a lot of it wasn't applicable to an engineering degree. For example, I got nine hours of Spanish credit, but was only required to have three.

Either way, I did skip roughly the entire freshman year. After taking one C++ programming class via credit by exam, I was accepted into the engineering department and was officially considered a sophomore.

I could have completed my undergraduate degree in three years, but -- it's true -- your college years are some of the best of your life. I decided to relax, stay the full four years, and take on minors instead in subjects I enjoyed. I ended up taking VT's astrophysics concentration, which is something like 7 or 8 classes. I graduated with a degree in computer engineering, and minors in astrophysics, math, and computer science.

I'm now an integrated circuit designer for a major American company out in Silicon Valley in California. I love my job, and have a very comfortable life. I'm also pursuing a master's part-time at Stanford, and have about another year to finish.

I'll be totally honest -- I worked harder in IB than I ever worked in undergraduate school, even in one of the toughest degree programs in the world! IB prepared me extremely well for college. I did very well and also had plenty of time to have fun and enjoy life. I also helped found a social fraternity, worked extensively with VT's Hybrid Electric Vehicle Team, ran the Astronomy Club, and generally just had a lot of fun. With good time management skills, you can get good grades and party. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Both are important!

The only real trouble I had was the shock of going from high school math classes directly into a Calculus III class at VT. Yes, I was intellectually prepared for the material, but I was not prepared for the differences in class structure. It was pretty hard to skip class in high school (fences, grade penalties, you name it...), and my high-school classes had tons of homework and frequent tests. I had constant feedback on my progress in high school. College was a different story... no one cared if you missed class, and the only grades that really mattered were two exam scores. My grades were mediocre that first semester, but rapidly improved as my self-discipline grew.

I run a large educational website (which I won't mention here because I don't want it to be viewed as spam!), and we have occassional threads there about IB. Somehow I ended up doing some google searching and found this forum -- and thought I'd say hello. :)

- Warren

hello hello, another Alumni! wow you graduated the same year my married brother did :) yes I am calling you old :) then again I'm the rude one on the forum so ignore any comments you don't like :)

it's cool to have someone so content with IB who's done it so long ago on here :P stick around I have a feeling you'll be useful :)

You didnt graduate from Rickards High School did you?

Nope, I went to Independence High School in Charlotte, NC.

hello hello, another Alumni! wow you graduated the same year my married brother did :) yes I am calling you old :) then again I'm the rude one on the forum so ignore any comments you don't like :)

Yeah, yeah... I'm sure one day in the near future I'll be researching canes and orthopedic shoes on Amazon.com. Scary concept, isn't it? Think of how huge Geriatric Facebook is going to be in about 50 years. It'll have pop up reminders to help you remember who your children are.

You know, Warren, I love you already. You've managed to drag Lc out of hiding. :P *hides from Lc now*

Rest assured, you aren't the only alumni here, though Deus, Lc and I can't boast of having done IB a decade ago. :) Welcome, drop in and have a chat with everyone sometimes. :)

She was hiding?! Well, I'm glad I could help. So you guys are all alumni as well, eh? When did you get your diplomas? Where are you now? Was the program worth it for you in the end?

ignore us Warren we're females :) bitching is our best friend :P

Actually, I apparently have a decade more experience with women than even you, despite the fact that you are one.... I'm used to it. :)

- Warren

just thought i would pop in and say welcome warren, so Welcome.

i am glade that you siad IB helped you in the long run.... i am sometimes worried that IB might not be worth all this work in the end, but everyone always syas that it will be, but alumni never came back to really tell us the truth, so i thank you.

Edited by IBStuck

She was hiding?! Well, I'm glad I could help. So you guys are all alumni as well, eh? When did you get your diplomas? Where are you now? Was the program worth it for you in the end?

I was of the M06 session and Deus and Lc were both M07. We're now all at university, me at the University of New South Wales in Sydney, Australia, Deus at the University of Bath and Lc at Loughborough University both in England. I think we can safely say the IB was worth it...considering now we're wasting our otherwise free time running this forum. :)

(I should stop answering for Deus consideirng he doesn't talk enough and I talk too much as it is... :) )

i am glade that you siad IB helped you in the long run.... i am sometimes worried that IB might not be worth all this work in the end, but everyone always syas that it will be, but alumni never came back to really tell us the truth, so i thank you.

*hurt look* What am I doing then?

:P

Yeah, yeah... I'm sure one day in the near future I'll be researching canes and orthopedic shoes on Amazon.com. Scary concept, isn't it? Think of how huge Geriatric Facebook is going to be in about 50 years. It'll have pop up reminders to help you remember who your children are.

:) I'm sorry my lack of years in the category of "age" is making me unable to understand what you are talking about...

Spoiler - Click me!
:)

[Close]

yes I don't really have time for the forum anymore unfortunately, that amongst some other things :P which doesn't matter, but given as I can't sleep right now I thought I'd pop in one more time...

seeing and Hien has already asnwered the question I'll answer the remainder of it... The program was worth it, but I still think that diploma is a big peice of ****. doesn't reflect what I gained from the program at all! which makes it not matter to me at all

Hien is at UNSW studying commerce, and me in Loughborough Uni studying communications and media studies :)

Actually, I apparently have a decade more experience with women than even you, despite the fact that you are one.... I'm used to it. :)

- Warren

HA! you may have lived almost a decade more than me, but I have been with a female/woman for 18 years now, constantly! and by that i mean ever moment of my life! I doubt the whole time you've spent with one adds up to that :) so in the end I still have more experience than you :) although you may have gotten screwed over by one more than I have :) I like myself :) I don't tend to hurt me very often :P

*hurt look* What am I doing then?

:)

sry. i meant people i knew at school. people i knew before they graduated; they never really gave us the whole pic, and expalined how it was worth it except that they skiped thier freshman year of college. they just always told us to get out while we still could (we were in our last year of MYP).

i guess if i read all of your posts i would get the complete pic... but there are a lot of those between TSR and here, and i can be lazy sometimes. :)