IB English A1 HL Oral Presentation

Agneisse

Okay so basically the Oral Presentation is coming up, and I am really really messed up because my teacher does not explain anything and then gets angry when we ask questions.

I am doing my IOP on a Pablo Neruda poem, and it's probably going to be an Oral Expose. I understand that one of the options would be "the setting of a particular writer’s work against another body of material, such as details on social background or political views".

Thus, would a good presentation basically include background information about the allusions in the poem that reference events that were happening around the world and in Neruda's life? How can I make such a presentation more analytical? Should I say something like "Neruda's tone towards [Event X] is blah blah blah as evident from

?" :) Sorry if I seem really insecure, but I've never been excellent at IB English/Literature as a whole and I'm...freaking out?

I think you are taking a very good angle at analyzing the poem, but make sure that you have done research and are able to give more reasons and events that may have influenced the author's tone.

Just a piece of advice, know your information and know it well. I know that sounds silly and should be a given, but if you are able to demonstrate that you are confident and know your topic like the back of your hand, your presentation will go well.

Thank you!

Basically, this poem has a bunch of references to the Spanish Nationalist years. So should I give a brief explanation for, say, the Royal Family's stance, then link that to the use of images of royalty in the poem, and how this contributed to a negative tone towards the Nationalists, or something?

I'm not really sure how to do the "interpretation" part. :)

Thank you!

Basically, this poem has a bunch of references to the Spanish Nationalist years. So should I give a brief explanation for, say, the Royal Family's stance, then link that to the use of images of royalty in the poem, and how this contributed to a negative tone towards the Nationalists, or something?

I'm not really sure how to do the "interpretation" part. :D

For the interpretation part all you have to do is make assertions based on references from the text, as long as you can back up yous assertions with the text you'll be fine.