NaNoWriMo

Pwhdavey

Hey,

For those of you who don't know 2008 is my first year in IB. Since age seven I've been an avid creative writer, and since last year I've been getting the urge to write something more than a few pages which is what I call a short story. A plot has been brewing in my head for some time now and I have to get it out of my system - if you're a prolific writer like me you'll know what I mean. So I want to start a novella... just when to do it is the problem.

I recently discovered NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) and I have been instantly hooked (http://www.nanowrimo.org/). Read all about it if you don't know and you're interested. But all who already understand how it works, could you tell me if it is possible to do this whilst studying IB?

My exams are next year... not this. Which is one consolation as I sure as heck won't be doing NaNo next year. But it'd be fun to do it during school... I don't know. Reckon I should at least consider this for November? Do bear in mind I'm very keen! :)

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum... I searched NaNoWriMo here and found several results in some "Writer's Corner" but it wasn't really related to my question. And who knows, this could be helpful to more people...

Hmm... One thing for sure is that it would top my Creativity. But I'm not sure if the IBC would encourage me or not... because I would want to get to 50K. This is my sort of thing and it would be good to do it during school. Good luck with your future NaNo's HMS, and appreciate any more feedback someone has to offer. :)

• 1 year later...

I did it last year, and I figured that I'd do it this year as well. I realise that it's probably equivalent to IB suicide, but my EE is pretty much done, my grades are fine, my university applications have been sent off, and if anything major comes up, of course I'll put schoolwork first. And then not sleep to catch up on my wordcount. I'm kidding, I think...

I'm not counting it for CAS because I have 150 points already, and I'm not sure how I'd explain it to my coordinator. I'm pretty sure she knows about it; she read it in my personal statement, but it's too much trouble anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Wow. I came across this browsing randomly, 140,000 words is very impressive... I tried it once but got off track, predictably, and I think I'll go for it this calendar year; for CAS but also for university applications and stuff. Besides, I've done a lot of writing lately, and I think NaNoWriMo is a great place to start.

HMS, are you going to publish?

I participated last year, i used about a hour of writing everyday, sometimes less or skipping days all together. Reaching 50000 is something everybody can do if they have the conviction. That being said, i haven't done it while being in IB.

Nanowrimo is really great for making people actually begin writing.

Guest saturday

I'm planning to do it this year. I found out about it last year in the middle of November since one of my friends was doing it, and I though it seemed like a really good idea.

I'm not awfully worried that it's in November though, but next year is only my first IB year so I think I can afford to do it this once during IB... Even if it means my studies get neglected for a while...

Most of the diploma candidates in my school used it as creativity. It's good because you can use whatever hours you get even if you don't finish, and you can use your stories as proof in your CAS journals. It's also good because you're writing about 2000 words per day, so you get a feel for where that is, which is nice for when you're writing IAs and stuff.

Wow. I came across this browsing randomly, 140,000 words is very impressive... I tried it once but got off track, predictably, and I think I'll go for it this calendar year; for CAS but also for university applications and stuff. Besides, I've done a lot of writing lately, and I think NaNoWriMo is a great place to start.

HMS, are you going to publish?

No, I’m not going to publish because what I wrote wasn’t exactly original fiction (though as fanfic, it deviated so far off the original work that it’s not even fanfic either).

But I do agree that November is sort of a crazy time to try and do this, not just for students. It’s the holiday season, though I suppose the idea of sitting inside writing in November might be attractive.

I might actually be without a job this November so I might take a shot at it again this year.

I participated in NaNoWriMo last year and it was crazy hectic for me. At the

beginning of the month, it wasn't too bad. But as the month continued, IB got

in my face. My teachers piled on assignments and projects that were due just

before my fall break, which kept me busy most of the time. I tried to catch

up on my word count, but was unsuccessful.

So, in agreement with most of the people who've posted, it's a great thing to

participate in. BUT it's at the most inconvenient of times. :)

• 5 months later...

Resurrecting this since it's already October, which means it's that time of year again.

I tried Nano on a lark last year after finding out about it maybe a week before the event, and did it with some of my friends. I thought it was quite good fun, even though I failed epically.(12,000 words...) This year I intend to be better prepared and hopefully finish, which means starting planning now. Still not sure what I want to write, though.

I didn't even think about counting it as CAS last year, but I'm definitely doing so this year.