The Model UN Thread

davshere

I've gone to 8 MUN assemblies over the past three years, mostly local ones but one at Harvard, and I have had nothing but positive experiences. They have definitely been worth missing school for. IMO, they would look impressive on university applications, especially if you win any awards for best delegate, and they do wonders for improving both public speaking skills and knowledge of current affairs. I definitely suggest getting involved; as for the workload, it really depends on how prepared you want to be. I usually print off some info the night before, and spend an hour or two writing up a foreign policy paper, but nothing over the top.

In Kenya here I have been for the EAMUN for 3 Consecutive years..trust me the experience is worth it..We miss a week of school because we have to travel to Nairobi..But allround We learn alot and trust me the first time I went I didnt speak..but now..i am much more confident..and now im already psyched for next year..because its just too good..trust me..

The UN conferences I've participated in weren't technically 'MUN's but they contain essentially the same ingredients. I've been doing them for 3 years, I've loved every one of them. As others have said, they're great for public speaking and impromptu speaking skills. There's also the whole cliche "you meet so many great people" thing but it's true (I met my boyfriend at one). It also opens doors for other experiences, you can network with the people you meet and, if you decide to become a member (if it's possible where you're doing it), work your way up the heirarchy. I'll be organising my city's conferences next year. Colleges love to hear about extra curricular activities, especially if they see that it's a long-term thing.

• 4 weeks later...

I personally did not like MUN. It was my first year, and I attended two conferences: BAYMUN (Bayan MUN) and YLC (Young Leaders' Conference). I guess one could say that the MUN experience differs from one person to another. I disliked it because in Bahrain, it's more of a popularity contest than an actual conference of heated debates and intellectual arguments.

But that's just what I think. =]

• Like 1

I go to DUMUNC and MUNCH as well as App-MUN and have loved the experience, it's so eye-opening and as somebody else mentioned, you meet so many amazing people! I just wish my school had the means to go to international conferences, we will be heading to NAIMUN and potentially UNA-USA MUN next year... I can't wait to start back up! :P

• 1 month later...

I mostly do local ones like the Vancouver MUN which I done for the past 3 years. I find MUN to be an excellent vehicle to explore countries, learn, debate and to make friends. The most international one I did was at MUN at Berkeley.

I have a question though, in which categories does the MUN fulfill in CAS?

• 2 weeks later...

I've been to AMMUN, an MUN conference in Amman, Jordan. It was great, I was a Justice in the International Court of Justice. I hope to take part in THIMUN next year, but preferably not in the ICJ (very intimidating) but in a more conventional conference. My goal is Security Coucil but our school will unlikely get a seat in it!

Well, you'll need to find out loads about it before you make a club. Read about the rules and find a group of students who won't mess around too much. Once you do this, pick some interesting subjects, appoint yourself chair and just start the conference. The hardest part will be the research.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure. I'll depend on 2 things: a) if they invite me

b) If I see that going to OSC will be a big advantage for me in IB2, then I'm not sure I'll be participating

But I'm pretty sure if i'm going, ill be going to the US one cuz I mite be going to Prague this year and I already went to St. Petersburg. Even though they're different cities, they prob. look alike

• 1 month later...