The Model UN Thread

davshere

Can anyone actually explain me the new CAS system?? There's been changes in the hours thing and etc. ...

And just one question, everyone is talking about MUN buuut, who pays for your trips?? o.O because in our school, we are the ones who have to pay :/

We have to pay for ours as well...

What do you mean by the new CAS system? Do you mean specifically for MUN? Or in general for CAS?

CAS in general...It's on wikipedia that now, we only have to do two compulsory projects with one of them extending for more than 3 months and including two of the CAS parts (C, A or S)...that's why i ask lol

Can anyone actually explain me the new CAS system?? There's been changes in the hours thing and etc. ...

And just one question, everyone is talking about MUN buuut, who pays for your trips?? o.O because in our school, we are the ones who have to pay :/

What do you mean by the new CAS system? Do you mean specifically for MUN? Or in general for CAS?

CAS in general...It's on wikipedia that now, we only have to do two compulsory projects with one of them extending for more than 3 months and including two of the CAS parts (C, A or S)...that's why i ask lol

Hmm... that is strange. Non of my CAS projects were compulsory. I got to choose my CAS projects, and just make sure it was acceptable with my CAS coordinator. Also, I haven't had any CAS projects longer than 3 months, except my music, which I have been doing for years. I do a lot of volunteering for weekend projects through a specific organization, so in a ways, it is a long-term project because it is with the same organization, etc. etc. I do not know why your school has decided to do it that way. I advise going in to discuss it with your CAS coordinator if you had different plans and ideas. He/She may be open to allowing you to do things differently, as long as you do them correctly according to the IBO requirements for CAS. Also, according to the IBO about CAS, they like to see projects that have a mixture of C, A and S, so that is definitely a good route to take.

Hmm... that is strange. Non of my CAS projects were compulsory. I got to choose my CAS projects, and just make sure it was acceptable with my CAS coordinator. Also, I haven't had any CAS projects longer than 3 months, except my music, which I have been doing for years. I do a lot of volunteering for weekend projects through a specific organization, so in a ways, it is a long-term project because it is with the same organization, etc. etc. I do not know why your school has decided to do it that way. I advise going in to discuss it with your CAS coordinator if you had different plans and ideas. He/She may be open to allowing you to do things differently, as long as you do them correctly according to the IBO requirements for CAS. Also, according to the IBO about CAS, they like to see projects that have a mixture of C, A and S, so that is definitely a good route to take.

Yeahh, I know...I still do it that way too. But our coordinator is just mixing up everything, that's why i'm asking...he's demanding in reports something that is more "adequate" to the new system but doesn't tell us what we should do or change!

Projects should never be solely dedicated to one part :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Do you mean with the 8 Learning outcomes? Or something else?

At my school for MUN for in the country conferences we don't pay for our first conference (Unless it's THIMUN) but we pay for the rest. For THIMUN our school pays half of the price for us ;) Outside of the Netherlands conferences we have to pay for them. At my school it's a club not a course so we don't have the means for the school to pay for all of us ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What is ECOSOC like? I'm interested in it for next year.

Ecosoc: is the economic and social council.

The work of the ECOSOC stresses:

- promoting higher standards of living, full employment, and economic and social progress;

- identifying solutions to international economic, social and health problems;

- facilitating international cultural and educational cooperation; and

- encouraging universal respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms.

• 1 month later...

Good evening to all! :D

I have already attended several MUNs (Paris, St. Petersburg, Genoa and Milan) and would like to attend some others next year. Which ones do you suggest? I'd prefer ThiMUN Affiliated conferences but.. If you know of some really good non-affiliated ones I'd be interested in those too.

Cheers! :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I go to school in Fiji, in the South Pacific and our school holds MUN each year, inviting schools around the city to take part. It's amazing. This year I was the chairperson of Security Council and I had an unforgettable experience, and even ended up getting the award for the best chairperson! I really encourage everyone to take part.

• 1 month later...
Hello everyone, I am the secretary general of TVSMUN V. I'm very proud of it since I've been in this type of conferences a lot of times and won several prizes such as best delegates or outstandings. I was wondering if organizing TVSMUN will count as CAS

A fellow leader, good to meet you. In my last year in school I was SG for LIMUN and even got nominated as a Chair for THIMUN. Insofar as being SG is concerned, you take upon yourself all the organisational duties and management of the entire conference, right from the Approval Panel, to pumping up conferences when they're winding down, to making sure the croissants are available in the committee rooms. Its a lot of work. You can easily get C or S for your efforts. But I managed to push it with my IB Coordinator (the guy was a first-rate idiot), and he allowed me and my entire Logistics staff to get Action hours as well, if we so chose. It helped though that our LogiStaff was running across Campus doing stuff for me. :)

Rest assured, your efforts do count, quite a bit.

Could someone tell me how to get the protocols followed for a MUN? Is there any reliable source on the Internet?I'll be attending my first MUN this year, hopefully. :blink:

Really I don't think I've ever met anyone who didn't struggle in their first conference (unless it was taught as a club or class at school, in which case they had had tons of practice). My honest adivce is, read up as much as you can on the topic and learn a few of the basic procedures and protocols, but mostly, you play by ear and learn how to manipulate all the MUN procedures to push things in your favour.

The only things you need, need to know are:

Point of Order: When you correct another delegates speech when he/she has made a factual error of some sort (Though most people use this to point out stupid little details and be annoying/ embarrass the delegate in question).

Point of Information: When you ask the delegate who retains the floor a question, when he/she open him/herself up for them and are called upon by the Chair. The question has to directly concern the matter/content of the delegate's speech (Though most people almost always go off-topic and ask about other stuff to try and trip up the delegate being questioned). The question here should be concise and to-the-point and should not ramble on and on (though a lot of people choose to ramble).

Point of Parliamentary Inquiry: When you pose a question to the Chair regarding the rules or procedures of committee. This is supposed to be a strictly procedural question, but there are ways to manipulate it to your advantage. A generic Point as such would be: Would the Chair find it amenable to table this amendment on a resolution affecting Israel for now and discuss the resolution as a whole, until the delegate of Israel can be brought into committee and his opinion heard? A not-so-generic and very sneaky use of this Point would be: This delegate would like to ask the Chair if it is appropriate with committee protocol that the Delegate of Israel expressed his racist and bigoted attitude by lambasting the special representative of the PLA and insulting Muslim people in general through majority of his speech? - A Point like that generally is not in order, but it is a matter of technique and you make the Chair laugh as he/she is forced to answer your question with "That point is in order, Delegate please refrain from putting down the other delegates in committee or you will be censored," or you instead get shot down with the ever-disheartening, "That is not in Order." Generally, you use Point of Parliamentary Inquiry in this manner if the Right to Reply is suspended in a Conference, which happens at THIMUN and most THIMUN-affiliated conferences.

Right to Reply: When a delegate insults or says something derogatory towards you, your country, your people, your nationality, your President, anything. It i an opportunity for you to stand up incensed and demand a Right to Reply to insult the delegate's country in return. What you should never do is demand a public apology from the delegate. If I were asked to give a public apology for something I said (which I have had to more times than I can count), I would just say something like, "This delegate apologises to the delegate of Zimbabwe for assuming that his country is ridden with poverty and hunger, which it is, and its President is a madman working to destroy their nation one painful step at a time." A written apology is better suited, but it lacks the flair that a public apology has. So always ask for a Right to Reply and insult back.

Point of Personal Privilege: This is the only Point that can interrupt another delegate's speech. All other point have to be made when the floor is retained by the Chair or there is a brief respite between a delegate's speech and the opening of the floor for Points of Informations and such. A Point of Personal Privilege is when something is physically bothering you. So a Point as such would be: Can the windows be closed, I'm freezing? This again can be manipulated with a: This delegate has been made to feel very uncomfortable by the disconcerting and discriminatory remarks of the Delegate of Iran towards women, and he feels that all the women in committee should fling their shoes at him at high velocity for good measure. Of course the latter kind of Point is always overruled.

If you can master the above five points, you will be ready for any MUN conference. The more conferences you attend the better you become.

Edited by Arrowhead

I was wondering, does it count as C, A or S? I would think C, but I'm not sure.

Since you're going as a delegate, the only thing you can get is Creativity. If you work for the MUN as a Chair, SG, DSG, Logi Staff, or Approval Panel or such, you can get Service hours, and if you can dupe your IB Coordinator you can get some Action hours as well.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...