The Model UN Thread

davshere

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I was wondering, does it count as C, A or S? I would think C, but I'm not sure.

Since you're going as a delegate, the only thing you can get is Creativity. If you work for the MUN as a Chair, SG, DSG, Logi Staff, or Approval Panel or such, you can get Service hours, and if you can dupe your IB Coordinator you can get some Action hours as well.

wait what?? how on earth would you get Action hours for MUN?? thats just mind boogling

I was wondering, does it count as C, A or S? I would think C, but I'm not sure.

Since you're going as a delegate, the only thing you can get is Creativity. If you work for the MUN as a Chair, SG, DSG, Logi Staff, or Approval Panel or such, you can get Service hours, and if you can dupe your IB Coordinator you can get some Action hours as well.

wait what?? how on earth would you get Action hours for MUN?? thats just mind boogling

Actually not necessarily. I organised the school MUN at my school as Secretary-General and I convinced a boatload of IB students to be LogiStaff for the MUN. They did a lot of running around getting stuff done, making copies, running from one campus to another, always on their feet delivering notes and messages and such. I argued with the IB Coordinator and convinced him that that was a sufficiently physical group activity to qualify as Action hours. Furthermore, there were loads of people on my LogiStaff who really, really needed the Action Hours, so it was his way of giving them a pass, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, trust me, I'm definitely going to try this out on our CAS co-ordinator. Don't think it'll work though, sadly.

I was considering MUN as a delegate for my creative hours, but our school/area has rather patchy coverage in terms of conferences and competitions - we don't really participate in it year-round. And our school has restrictions saying that our CAS has to be one, on-going activity, so it might not work out. I don't really need to do MUN for my Creative, and there's no point in including it if it can't be it's own separate activity.

But MUN is fun though. So great imitating intelligent/arrogant politicians. No need to do it just for the benefit of the IB (shock-horror!).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My school does not currentlt have a MUN, but I was reading about it and I thought it was really fun. Also, I think it'd be great for college application. I was wondering how I could get around to proposing it? And how you attend comferences abroad....

Is there a guide or something similar to help those struggling with managing their MUN or starting one?

• 2 weeks later...

The Model UN club in my school is sort of rubbish. As a founding member, I find myself lost as to how to coordinate the students and assign roles in order to keep it orderly. If anyone could help, it would be wonderful.

And to make things absolutely lovely, our supervising teacher signed us up for UTMUN... this Thursday.

Edited by Semantic Satiation

• 3 weeks later...
The Model UN club in my school is sort of rubbish. As a founding member, I find myself lost as to how to coordinate the students and assign roles in order to keep it orderly. If anyone could help, it would be wonderful.

And to make things absolutely lovely, our supervising teacher signed us up for UTMUN... this Thursday.

Hi,

You could start off by finding a vice president and a secretary to help you. The more heads working, the better. You might want to conduct weekly executive meetings to figure things out (i.e. create a weekly agenda, figure out what's going wrong and how to fix the problems...).

Hope that might lead you somewhere. I'm MUN vice president in my school....I do this all the time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The MUN conference I went to was intense. I never felt such an adrenaline rush! Dealing with people of opposing views and repeating yourself ten thousand times, fun. and then Cuba and the US join in on a proposition and say that the way to end the problem with illicit drugs is to legalize them, hahahahahhahah!

If you have the chance to go, go.

MUN is my life!! it is such an intense experience but an AMAZING experience that everyone should experience!!

sooo anyone who is interested we are planning our MUN, just give me your school name and ill send and invitation as soon as possible!!

AMity GLobal School, Sector-46, Gurgaon, India

Lol, if at all you guys are doing international schools as well.. =P