Tips and tricks for getting a 7 in HL math

dsds1000

So, I really need an 7 in Hl math as part of my conditional offer. The hard thing about HL math when I compare it to HL physics or chemistry, is that I can never really secure a 7. I mean in physics or chem, if you study enough and memorize the formulas and stuff you are pretty certain to achieve a high grade, not so for math. I was studying for the past month, doing past papers, reviewing the syllabus, and I always end up with a 6 max. Any tips or suggestions on how are you planning to get a 7 in math? Thanks

Edited by dsds1000
  • Like 1

Mathematics isn't really a subject which you can "secure" a mark in. Maths, as a study, is purely based on concepts, and an infinite number of questions can be asked using that particular concept. Therefore, the best way to study is to practice as many questions as possible until you've seen enough ways that one can ask a question based on a concept. Basically, do tons of past papers, and do them again once you're beginning to familiarize yourself with all of the types of questions that can to be asked.

Edited by Chronofox
  • Like 5

Chronofox nailed it when they said to do tons of past papers.

When I did Math HL, I did every single past paper for the last 10 years that I could get my hands on. There's no other thing to do except to practice.

• Like 3

I have little experience with IB math so far, but I would agree with others saying to do lots of past exams. It's important to at least have an idea of the kind of questions they will ask and how to deal with them.

And this might sound nerdy but compared to other subjects, Math past papers are rather enjoyable to do! They do screw with your mind a lot though

They may be more enjoyable than other papers, but I still wouldn't call it enjoyable at all. XD

Also, make sure you have the data booklet while doing the practice tests. It should come in really handy during the real exam and you should be very familiar with it.

Edited by Hexa
  • Like 1

Guest Red XII

Actually knowing the math will really only get you a passing grade (if that). Math HL is all about knowing how to apply the math to solve the problems, so you need to practice all the past exams. Focus on the questions where they ask about normally simple concepts in tricky ways - sometimes they reuse these tricks on later papers. (On the DiffEQ/series P3 they keep reusing testing the convergence of the series [sin (1/n)] n=1 ---> infinity, which is really quite easy if you know the trick.) For P1/P2, they absolutely love using trig identities, so make sure you know them (you don't have to know exactly, since most are in the data booklet, but you should be able to recognize when it looks like one of the identities so that you know to try that). Ultimately, to get a 7, you need to be able to quickly apply problem-solving skills to figure out the trick to each problem, as most of them test problem solving more so than the actual math.

Knowing properties of log, argument, modulus, dot product, cross product, and other such operations and functions is also extremely important, as these are often tested in the tricky problems. Being able to rewrite expressions and equations in many ways (and being able to figure out which way(s) will help) is probably the most important thing for the HL Math exam besides actually knowing the math.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Exhaust yourself with IBHL mock exams when you're done do A level and F Maths (A level) mocks as well

I see people talking about doing past papers but where can I get hold of them? Knowing where to get the correction or answers would also be very helpful.

Exhaust yourself with IBHL mock exams when you're done do A level and F Maths (A level) mocks as well

I see people talking about doing past papers but where can I get hold of them? Knowing where to get the correction or answers would also be very helpful.

Asking your teacher to give them to you is a good start. They should have some!

If you're really desperate for more material, past exams are for sale on the IB website (along with cool backpacks, pens, and polo shirts with the IB logo on them). They don't cost very much. It's around $2.50 for each exam. However, I would only recommend buying exams if you truly are dedicated to HL Math.

Apart from doing as many practice papers and questions as possible (I recommend finishing the textbook problems as well as the questionbank and every past paper), you should take advice from your teacher and from ex-students as to strategies to complete questions more quickly.

Another thing to bear in mind is that in Maths HL, a 7 is not necessarily 85%. If you have trouble with it, odds are the rest of the world does too - thus, a mark which seems like a 6 may in actuality be a 7 in your final IB exams.

Beyond that, there's nothing to do but study your ass off and if you believe in some higher power, then hope he's in a charitable mood.

• Like 1