Math SL Exam

red_ember14

So exams are this week and we haven't even reviewed or even finished learning the content for math. Our last class with him is tomorrow and then those who can are staying after to get further in the content. Of course, this has me completely freaking out. I'm not even completely sure as to how the papers look and what's the difference between the two? So any just tips on studying or just something to help calm my nerves would help, thank you.

wow you´re situation is desperating!!!!!! Go torture your teacher with tons of questions tomorrow until you get every grasp of the course. Anyway, I will give you some info & tips.

*Paper 1 is a non calculator paper. Questions in P1 will contain easy numbers. You have 1h 30m to complete the paper.

*Paper 2 requires you to have a GDC (I hope you have one) because you will have to solve questions with the help of the GDC. If you´re unfamiliar with the GDC go ask your teacher about it. In fact the IB publishes a guide to the use of GDC´s in IB mathematics examinations. Go ask your coordinator for that or google it.

*Try to use this time to read the syllbus throrougly. Here´s a copy of it: http://www.education.umd.edu/MathEd/conference/vbook/math.sl.08.pdf

*Do as many past papers as possible between these days and try to understand your mistakes.

Best of luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!and don´t be a lazy bugger and get to work nowwwwwwww!

• Like 2

You also have 1h30 for paper 2. As bigbangfan said, the best thing you can do now is practice past paper questions. I wouldn't read through the syllabus as it is long and you don't have the time for that now. Just search Google for past math SL exams and you'll find some.

I feel bad for you, you really shouldn't be stressing to learn new stuff a couple days before the exam but what can you do. At the very least, make sure you have a good understanding of what you have covered until this point. :)

:gluck:

Yes I suggest doing lots of practise exams, the more the better. Time yourself so you can see approximately how long it takes you to do each paper, so you can pace yourself for the real thing.

Practise like you're doing a real exam... don't just skim through them.

and if there are areas that you are completely clueless about, review the key concepts / theory behind it.

I wouldn't read through the syllabus either. Since you have so little time, think in more general categories:

- Algebra

- Functions

- Matrices

-Exponents and Logarithms

- Differentiation & Applications

- Integration & Applications

- Curve Sketching

- Vectors

- Probability and Statistics

- Trig

Also, look through the formula book and make sure you know how to use the formulas! They are there because you may need them on your exam!

Good luck!