Sign in to follow this  

Environmental Systems vs. Biology (SL)

He means Environmental :( I changed the topic...

Looking at the syllabi might help, stylusdef, have you done that. I'm afraid I'm not familiar with ES, but from what I've heard, it's like collecting butterflies etc. :(

Oh ok!

Well, biology... is biology, i guess it will be a lot like the stuff you do in pre-ib, or something...

ES, on the other hand, is fun! We do a little of everything, some hurricanes, some global warming, some oceans, some el niño, some soil, some ecosystems, some atmosphere... THE WHOLE WORLD IS OURS!!!

While biology is just about small cells and such boring stuff...

Ok, i don't know a lot about biology... but that's ES, anyhow...

I sort of get this impression:

ES = environmental stuff. Lots of ecology and geography and such.

Bio = well... biology. Has different topics such as environment (ecology, plants science..actually sl dont do plant science but ah well) but also cells, chemistry, genetics, physiology and etc etc. You can say that ES is more deep into environmental systems (hence the name) whilst biology has a whole range of topics covered.

Edited by Afterglow

It all depends on what you are planning to do after IB. Before starting the IB looked in to ES but was soon directed towards Biology. My advisor said that there are some similiarities in the syllabi but that ES still has not become so highly accredited as a subject among universities. I reluctantly checked some univerity propectus to find that my advisor was right and amazingly that there was no mention of ES as a required subject in any of the fields I was interested in (Geology, Geophysics, Environmental sciences). ES sounds like a lot of fun, but I would reccomend biology as it leaves more doors open for the future.

Basically Systems is like the studies of sciences. As a Systems and Studies student i relish the fact that ill be getting two 7s while never doing homework, studying for tests or paying attention in classes. Unless you want to be involved in science or math in university I don't really see the point of taking Bio,Chem,Physics or even SL or HL math where you have to do allot more work and will get a worse mark almost certainly. Plus i take HL econ and that is enough to get into any business program. Instead of a 30 ill get a 34 because of Systems and Studies.