New A1/A2 Curriculum change and combination

deissi

Hey,

Our English A2 teacher informed us that the syllabi for A1 and A2 languages will have a complete makeover in 2 years (in other words, first examinations May 2011). The A2 language program will be completely removed for all languages, apparently it is too expensive. The A1 program, on the other hand, is changed a lot too. Instead of having an A1 which is only literature like it is now, there will be two types of A1 languages to choose: "A literature" and "A language & literature". The A literature program will be a lot like the old A1, though there will also be minor changes. A lang&lit will be a lot like A2, meaning that in addition to having literature, there will also be language options such as media and culture, etc. etc.

So, people now suffering with A1 English (which truly is demanding!) can choose A1 lang&lit in the future. On the other hand, people doing English A2 atm can choose to do two A languages, for example A Finnish literature and A English lang&lit. Language B will remain an option too, so those who don't want to do the more demanding language A lang&lit can pick English B instead.

What do you guys think about it?

• 3 weeks later...

I've just seen this thread. I think in way, they call it the dumbing down of the IB. Introducing a language and literature course will make the A1 language a whole lot easier, and may well detract from the widely understood fact that IB is demanding. Then again, one can just choose the lit and keep IB 'hard and demanding'.

I'm in the States, where colleges are already struggling to differentiate between Math Studies, Math SL and Math HL, so much so that our HL Math teacher explicitly told us that she includes in our recommendation letters (if we ask for one) or forwards a brief syllabus to the guidance counsellor to emphasize the mountain of work we're doing. I can only imagine how much a shorter end of the stick the Literature-only kids are going to get because colleges can't tell the difference/don't care/don't notice between Lit and Lang+Lit.

Edited by Agneisse