TOK presentation topic: The negative effects of video games on players

cataclysm1c

Well, this is my first TOK presentation. I haven't talked to the TOK teacher yet, but it wouldn't matter much since the presentation is just for practice. What I thought would be a good example of "knowledge issues raised by a substantive real-life situation that is of interest". I believe that computer games do raise knowledge issues and I'm a gamer myself so I'd rather talk about this topic than any other:

1. It creates bad influence with scenes of violence and gore, and sometimes swear words are used

2. It might be highly addictive to players and they end up sitting in front of their consoles for hours doing something that really isn't worth all the time.

3. Video games are becoming more and more like reality with improvement of graphics and real life situations. Would this virtual reality make people confused about what exists in the real reality? <- this I believe is the "knowledge issue"

I really want to talk about this topic because I thought it's one of the prevalent issues that exists today with technology. But what I'd like for you guys to advice me on is:

1. Is this topic suitable? Does it directly relate to "knowledge" issues? Do you have any other ideas of other "knowledge" issues raised by computer games?

2. You have any good sources or opinions to research on this topic?

3. You have any advice on how to present this topic? (I am presenting it individually)

Thank you for reading this and I hope you can contribute some advice for me. I really need and appreciate it :P

Edited by cataclysm1c

Well, this is my first TOK presentation. I haven't talked to the TOK teacher yet, but it wouldn't matter much since the presentation is just for practice. What I thought would be a good example of "knowledge issues raised by a substantive real-life situation that is of interest". I believe that computer games do raise knowledge issues and I'm a gamer myself so I'd rather talk about this topic than any other:

1. It creates bad influence with scenes of violence and gore, and sometimes swear words are used

2. It might be highly addictive to players and they end up sitting in front of their consoles for hours doing something that really isn't worth all the time.

3. Video games are becoming more and more like reality with improvement of graphics and real life situations. Would this virtual reality make people confused about what exists in the real reality? <- this I believe is the "knowledge issue"

I really want to talk about this topic because I thought it's one of the prevalent issues that exists today with technology. But what I'd like for you guys to advice me on is:

1. Is this topic suitable? Does it directly relate to "knowledge" issues? Do you have any other ideas of other "knowledge" issues raised by computer games?

2. You have any good sources or opinions to research on this topic?

3. You have any advice on how to present this topic? (I am presenting it individually)

Thank you for reading this and I hope you can contribute some advice for me. I really need and appreciate it :(

I think is a good topic for a presentation :( B)

you should focus on different areas on knoledge, maybe one of them could the language ( as you said the violence also in the verbal form)

you can do the presentation with power point and present a "trailer" or example of some video games.

and don't forget to reffer on your personal experiences, not only in your conlcusion but during the whole presentation, it will increase your grade :D

of course you should also talk about your presentation in different angles of view.

not only the bad things about video games but also some good things. what I mean is COUNTER ARGUMENTS. (points!! points!! )

well good luck soo :D

Well yeah, I thought that virtual reality really is an anomaly to knowledge issues, because it doesn't really apply to real world knowledge, instead you're looking at a TV screen or monitor and perceiving things that are virtual and you might be affected (both negatively and positively) by the visual fantasy of games.

It was a good idea to include a trailer, thanks for the suggestion. (I'll probably include GTA trailer/CnC3 or Crysis)

The presentation's this week and I'm actually quite excited ^.^ because I know mine will be one of the few with a video backup

A group in my school did a similar thing.

A point would be that, in the US these days with gun control so lax, and games like GTA can have a negative and detrimental affect on those who are not mentally stable. So basically, a gun + GTA + crazy man = Virginia tech or something like that.

Another negative effect would be eye strain from playing video games for too long.

I can't think of any positive effects for your counter argument. You need to have some sort of counter, so that it makes is more TOKish.

• 3 weeks later...

well, It's kind of hard to argue FOR video games. But what I believe is a positive aspect of video games is that it gives the player a sort of control over the virtual character. Video games thrill players by giving them a character with extra speed, strength, even invisiblity (lol i'm quoting "Crysis" here). It can allow people to enjoy this kind of virtual control and dream that they would not otherwise achieve in real life. And sometimes the storylines in some games can be rather deep and symbolic such as Final Fantasy series, it allows a gamer to experience being part of a story instead of like reading a novel about epic heroes or whatnot. Video games provide virtual interaction that can lead to some positive experiences.

thats quite an interesting topic.. choosing some global problems sometimes seems quite boring and this one will have a lot of real-life relation :)

now my suggestion

education :( talk about learning when playing games.. it should be one of the possitive arguments.

when you play games you tend to learn some new words and phrases in english, which will be suitable in the future.. for example when playing GTA you can learn different types of clothing and you generally improve you english skills..

then in some online games there is a possibility to interact with other players.. on one hand you can learn some foreign culture, get to know other people. on the other hand, the interaction is not real and you can never be sure whether that 'guy living in antarctica' isn't just your neighbour..

and some video is always a good thing, it makes a presentation more interesting

p.s. you could also make a survey in your school: "how often or how long do you play computer games?" "do you think that you are addicted?" etc. also search for such surveys in the internet.. it would be wonderful if you would mention why these surveys are not completely precise or how they could be imporved (e.g. only a few people were questioned; only people aged 10-18 were questioned, but there are a lot of mature players; etc.)