Sign in to follow this  

Is Bureaucracy the key to admission?

I looked at some very weird/unrealistic/preposterous Personal Statements of students claiming to have done all sorts of things in their Middle School/High School career e.g.

• Practising at least 6 different sports
  • Having done (or are currently doing) at least 2 jobs
  • Introduce environmental policies into their home city
  • Having received 8 honours from the last 6 MUNs
  • Protected a Zimbabwean game park from bankrupcy (my favourite one!!)

The list can go on....

And obviously the authors of such fantastic stories have no means to prove any of this. Do applicants who provide documented (signed&stamped) proof on all the things they claim to have done on their Personal Statement, get higher chances of admission success? Because that at least would make some sense, rather than trying to guess which applicant is a liar and who isn't - but it also means more paperwork for the uni admissions centre. Does anyone know if it's better to documentate everything and send it in with the application?

I'm in the situation where my combination of CAS activities just plain sounds unrealistic, so I was wondering how to back it up so that it doesn't blow up in my face if they assume I'm a liar or something.

I think the key is the fact that your teacher and college admissions aid should be writing a review of you that corroborates all of your claims.

In the eyes of the IB, it seems that adults, especially teachers, can not lie. Ironic, isn't it? It's my understanding that you can not send additional things, unless they are certificates of exam grades and results (e.g. GCSE results or something along those lines)