Young football players

uusinjsh

So, I am willing to make my TOK presentation about young football players from poor countries that are persuaded by big leagues to join them. I feel like I lack the ideas, so far I have this :

*ethics : clubs use the fact that the players are poor, so they will be tempted to earn the big money promised to them ; clubs often don't include the fact that not all the players become stars thus rich ; as soon as clubs realise that the player won't be a star, they often lose interest, become less caring etc. (quote - The kids disappear into the anonymity of the nether regions rarely to be heard of again, right now some of these boys are just being traded like horsemeat.)

*reason of club : the players from poor countries are easier to sign due to smaller interest than for English stars, they will initially agree to play for a smaller wage due to the fact that even what seems like a small money in Europe (the same applies to the local club - they might sell the next superstar for peanuts, this is a reason why many academies have losses - they spend money in player training but get a small return), might be incredible amount of money for them, it is argued that players are treated, as mentioned before, like horsemeat, because the attitude is rather business-like, the players are trained, then at the first chance sold to even bigger club for the biggest possible profit ; difference with local player - if the player fails to live up to expectations, club won't be blamed for ruining a local potential talent

*reason of player : they think it can't really get worse than in their native countries, they go to big leagues due to poverty and willingness to fund their family, which is pretty often not well financed

*belief : player has to believe that exactly he will the one emerging as a star, has to have belief in authority - scout/manager ; club has to have belief in the player since it has spent resources in scouting process, paperwork etc.

*language : I don't believe there are no language barriers between the, let's say, Italian scout and the African talent ; the scout/manager has to have language skills in order to be able to persuade the player to leave everything in the native country and join the club

Different opinions about sales of player:

a) player is a slave, he gets sold from one club to another, tempted by money

b) a poor player, who would otherwise struggle to make both ends meet, gets a chance to earn big money and is in a way saved

Different opinions about the system of transfers:

a) One could argue the system is flawed if a club can spend several years investing time and money into a player, only to have another club come in and offer that player a contract with them, when the club who has developed the player are not allowed to offer a deal themselves.

b) If one day you have a son and raise him for fifteen years but then your neighbour comes knocking on your door and asks your son if he wants to come and live with him instead, and your son wants to go because this neighbour has a house twice the size of yours, drives a Mercedes (and another one in the garage) and will give him £50 a week pocket money, are you going to let him go? Yes!

c) there is a flaw that allows players younger than 18 make such decisions

• 7 years later...