Are IB students clique-y at your school?

im in pre-IB2 so i guess i dont really count. but there are so many just certificate students in all my classes that the actual pre-full diploma candidates (like me) just tend to stick with who we were already friends with. no one really meshes lol its kinda sad

At my school IB students are usually supposed to be the brainy lot.And we were 30 of us at the beginning and there ws this group of 10 kids who were highly popular and they formed the "IB clique" but then they did this thing and about 12 of them were sent out(for the first time) and nw IBs nt considered that great a thing.Personally most of my friends r frm outside IB.I find my class extremely boring..everyones just so obsessed with their laptop they dont even realise that a world exists outside that.

Yes, in my school there is definetly a division.

The total students in my school year are like 115. Most of us have been together since Kindergarden, and we all know each other.

Half decided to do IB (we're like 60 students of which thirty something are doing the diploma) and half are BUAP (non-IB students).

We don't have any classes together and we even have separate homerooms. All of my friends are on IB and I don't hang out with people from BUAP.

There are some people from IB that have friends in BUAP and some people from BUAP that have friends on IB. But mostly we kind of dislike each other (we tend to dislike BUAPs because they are stuck up, snobish, and some of them have been mean to us in the past).

There is no hate or rivalry. We peacefully coexist together.

But yeah, there is a separation. But I (and most IB students) like that separation.

Guest Humaira

Well we IBs are together all the time, and have our own inside jokes... but we're still friends with a lot of the non IBs. Especially the dropouts! smile.gif

the dropouts, and inside jokes are so true!!

It's inevitable at my school.

The way timetabling works, the whole IB schedule is basically the same (e.g. there is a Group 1 block, and a Group 3 block etc.) and because of not having enough classrooms, we occasionally have different classrooms. It's hard to bump into old friends when you don't know their timetable.

But IB/A-Levelers (as I like to call them as a joke) do mix - friendship groups are mixed, it's just harder to see the A-Level people sometimes. :)

• Like 1

My school is very large (about 2200 people) but to be honest there is not that big of a division. Mostly because my school heavily promotes participation in extra curricular and so you meet a ton of normal students. Unfortunately, there are some programs that have "IB kids only" written all over it. For example our school holds numerous leadership conferences that you have to apply for in order to attend, and the only people that get selected for exec positions or delegate positions are IB students. Especially the "popular" IB students. Sigh~This was a very interesting question by the way, I'm interested to hear what it's like at other schools.

I guess I don't have that problem at my school, as we all have to do the IB program, but I could see how it can affect other school where you're separated from the other students. Being in IB is kind of a lifestyle, you have so much work and so many things to do, that you want to surround yourself with people who are going through the same thing, whether if it's just getting help on a subject or homework assignment, or maybe you just have some inside jokes.

It's very common in most high schools, and I particularly, always bond the most with people who I have in my class constantly, as we can always talk and share about upcoming tests and assignments we have.

In my current high school, the 'old glories' from the 2nd year of IB are pretty much severed from us, but maybe that's only 'cause of they're prepearing their IB exams.. (?) With my generation there are two different groups: the whole class and me. Nye.

But why am I apart from the group? Well they all come from small schools where they were the greatest students ever, so I guess that made them a little bit pretty much arrogant and haughty - they're still nice people... just close in their own, or in their own group, too 'delicate' to hang around the no-IB students. Nye. I come from a tough place, and I've never been pamped by anyone. Yeaaaah it's true that I hang around the most weird people on Earth but I don't care, I just cannot accept being an IB student makes me... higher, anyhow.

We've got a 27-student cohort (tiny, particularly when one notes our school has 3500 students), in a school that does not understand IB at all. Between that, having so many classes together, and all being equally screwed, the cohort is pretty tight-knit for the most part.

Edited by Saurav Das

• 2 weeks later...

I don't really agree that my IB friends are cliquy. It's to be expected that we hang out since we share ALL of our classes together, but honestly? Most everyone doesn't have time for a social life anyway! Plus I'm very sporty, so I have lots of friends that are involved in sports and I hang out with that crowd. It could be the fact that I go to a large high school (1600+ students in grades 10, 11 and 12, I live in Canada so there is no 'freshman' thing.) That may also be a factor. But I don't think we are "cliquy" we are just good friends! I am also very involved with my youth group at church and have loads of friends from that. All in all, I think it also depends on your personality! I am not clingy at all, and I don't like spending all my time with one group of people. I get tired of them after a while!

My batch has about 50-60 people and everyone is familiar with everyone else. That being said, there are divisions amongst ourselves in IB. There's the group of kids that are always studying and put their social and personal lives on the back burners and there are the kids that socialize with everyone; IB and Non-IB. There are also a few kids that are tougher to describe than that and their behaviour and social circles are a bit erratic. For the most part though, the IB students stay within IB for friends.

My school is a semi-private school, with an IB department (IBMYP and IBDP), and a regular Dutch department. I think about 15-20% of students does IB, and the rest just goes to Dutch secondary school. In the lower years (MP1-MP4), there tends to be a lot of rivalry between the 2 departments, and there really is one big IB group. But after MP4, my class started hanging out with other students a lot more, and by now, much of the class is completely integrated, though I say most because I'm not going to generalize a group of 55 people. But for me, for example, my close friend group consists of 3 'Dutchies' and only 1 fellow IB-er.