Environmental Systems & Societes in Group 4 Project?

Mar Le Devine

Hi everyone

i'm editing this topic, because recently i asked for some ideas relating group 4 project from an environmentalist point of view. However, i'm no longer surprised that there was no feedback, as i have found out that there is not a single word about GROUP 4 project in the ESS Syllabus and i couldn't even find any connection whatsoever between the two when i googled it.

Anyway, they made us do the group 4 project, they've put us in a group of six people. Me and my friend were 2 students of ESS in the group and the others were doing the other sciences (Physics, Biology, Chemistry). Our topic was cider, so whilst others were doing some experiment, me and my friend were just googling for something that we could put into the presentation and make it look like it's very scientific. The teachers were quite happy with our presentations and i think we might get a good mark, but what if we'll get only 4/6 points for it? what i'm trying to stress here, is that they treat this group 4 project as part of our ESS internal assessment, and that is a complete nonsense. in ESS, you have a maximum of 42 marks in your IA and as i mentioned, there is not a word about group 4 project in the syllabus.

Can our school even do this? i know that ESS satisfies the conditions of both group 4 and group 3 subjects. but how can our school put our subject into a project that is purely scientific and experimental? i'm asking myself: "Is this even legal? what would IBO do if they knew that our school is doing something like this?". maybe i'm just looking for an argument here, but if i really receive a poor mark in this, i would rather do a proper experiment in ESS that satisfies the assessment criteria.

any arguments on this? thank you

Edited by Marv

• 4 weeks later...

The way my school does it is that we decide to pick a topic, then each class would do their own work. Chem ppl do their chem stuff, Bio ppl do their own stuff an so on. And then we do our own analysis and everything, then in the end, combine those analysis together to get an overall all-sciences conclusion. So far we've done nothing else on IA, and school treats ESS as completely experimental science.

I'm in ESS and we've just collected all datas for our Group 4 project. We wanted to see if there's any relationship between turbidity and the quality of the water (evaluated by the number of bacteria found in the water). What we did was to get different water samples from different lakes at this theme park. Then did the water dillution, and plating for the bacterias in the water samples to grow into colonies. We haven't analysed the data yet, but I think that the experiment was much much much harder than what I expected ESS to be. Ours was even worse than the Bio ppl's...

Other school's group 4 tasks are so much harder than ours.... We went to the beach for a day and all I did was test density of sand at different places, only to find it was the same (no ****). We then awarded ourselves full marks and went to the shops

ESS is in my opinion a very ambiguous subject and everything is interpreted in various ways or has no interpretation whatsoever. But i still like it

However, the way our school treats the group 4 project is just pathetic. Some people told me that in the past, they forced economic students to participate in it and do something pathetic, like "Examine the economical impacts on harvesting strawberries using bare hands". What are they thinking? Implementing group 3 subjects into group4 project. Just pathetic...

• 2 months later...

We're just starting our G4 and I'm in ESS but we have to be in groups with juniors for the project all of who are in biology. Having a hard time getting any of their ideas to relate to ESS.... Help!!

Honestly, just write something stupid. For example, how the whole experiment might damage the environment and how it could be more environmentally friendly and such. For example, we were doing experiment with the cider and our ESS branch was giving a presentation how the leftovers could be used to feed farm animals or how they can be further processed to produce food stabilizators (Like jelly or marmelade)

So, really. It's quite a nonsense and just do anything that comes to your head. You can get through it if you look confident during the presentation or whatever, that's all you need...

• 5 months later...
  • 8 years later...
On 5/11/2011 at 6:43 PM, Mar Le Devine said:

Hi everyone

i'm editing this topic, because recently i asked for some ideas relating group 4 project from an environmentalist point of view. However, i'm no longer surprised that there was no feedback, as i have found out that there is not a single word about GROUP 4 project in the ESS Syllabus and i couldn't even find any connection whatsoever between the two when i googled it.

Anyway, they made us do the group 4 project, they've put us in a group of six people. Me and my friend were 2 students of ESS in the group and the others were doing the other sciences (Physics, Biology, Chemistry). Our topic was cider, so whilst others were doing some experiment, me and my friend were just googling for something that we could put into the presentation and make it look like it's very scientific. The teachers were quite happy with our presentations and i think we might get a good mark, but what if we'll get only 4/6 points for it? what i'm trying to stress here, is that they treat this group 4 project as part of our ESS internal assessment, and that is a complete nonsense. in ESS, you have a maximum of 42 marks in your IA and as i mentioned, there is not a word about group 4 project in the syllabus.

Can our school even do this? i know that ESS satisfies the conditions of both group 4 and group 3 subjects. but how can our school put our subject into a project that is purely scientific and experimental? i'm asking myself: "Is this even legal? what would IBO do if they knew that our school is doing something like this?". maybe i'm just looking for an argument here, but if i really receive a poor mark in this, i would rather do a proper experiment in ESS that satisfies the assessment criteria.

any arguments on this? thank you

how to write an ESS ia?