Paper 1 Question 4

CristinaV

I think we're all aware of how this question goes, usually something like "Using the sources and your own knowledge...."

It's in the question itself, so obviously, using your own knowledge from different sources is important. I usually use my knowledge on specific treaties and events, but I have never actually used "specific" information, like the specific numbers I use for Paper 2, because, other than those on the economic situation, I feel like there aren't many. And I also don't tend to use historiography for that part, or at least it isn't a priority to me because it isn't specifically mentioned in the mark scheme. Am I doing it wrong? Should I do otherwise? What's your advice?

Thanks ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone clarify question 4 (the essay) on paper 1? I understand that it's an essay with background knowledge and synthesized sources, but I don't really understand how long it should be and even if we should use historiography.

Can anyone clarify question 4 (the essay) on paper 1? I understand that it's an essay with background knowledge and synthesized sources, but I don't really understand how long it should be and even if we should use historiography.

It's typically around the size of a small essay. Usually one will have 30-40min to write it. Historiography will never hurt, and as long as it is relevant to the topic then by all means insert it, but it's not as important as it would be for the other papers.

• 2 weeks later...

My teacher seems to think that this essay in Q4 should be pretty similar to those you write in paper 2.

That is, always add as many facts as you can, economic figures are good, but you can also add in years, names of specific treaties/people/countries influential in the topic, any other sort of data (social - eg. amount of protests, political - eg. number of governments in a particular time period etc.). There are heaps of ways of adding your own knowledge into the essay.

Also, don't forget to give at least on point for all 5 sources, otherwise the maximum mark you can get is 5/8.

It should be similar to the essays you write in paper 2, except that you must mention all five sources in this essay (otherwise a perfect essay without this will only get 5/8).

You should write as much as you can on it. With the time constraints on paper 1, it would be great if you had 30 minutes to write the essay (although I had at most 20 for mine) including time for planning. I remember that on a recent paper I did, I wrote around 2 double sided IB pages and got a 5 or a 6 out of 8. However, I didn't finish my essay in time, so it just stopped mid paragraph in the final body paragraph, I'm sure if I had a couple more minutes to finish that paragraph and quickly write a conclusion it would have boosted my mark up to 6-7 at least.

Edited by Keel
Merged Posts