Tips on doing well in SL/HL History

Cynthia

If I may, (since this is I think a rather brilliant summary), I'd add a little something...

Firstly, for revising, I find it incredibly helpful to have certain "themes" in mind for every section. Since the question do take rather different twists, its helpful to have a basic structure, or rather basic themes on every topic that you know you can integrate. Its hard to explain; what I did was have individual modules in my mind that I could twist onto every question on a topic.

E.g.: for any essay on the 1917 revolutions, I would know that I would always devote a considerable section, up to a paragraph, to the effects of the war; within essays on Hitler, I would always place a considerable portion of my essay on the (flawed) economic policies. This probably sounds rather obvious, but its helpful in connection with the second point.

As Cynthia said, reading "real" history is essential. This is especially the case for those frequent questions rewarding "perceptive comments" in the higher markbans. I you have one, two ideas or facts that make your essay stand out from others per topic, remember these as the "themes"; try to group your essays around them. Standing out I think is always good, especially since we all do very similar topics and probably use very similar textbooks (which makes further reading so important).

Two more tips (my personal opinion): I would never start writing an essay without at least rough planning! This is especially the case for paper 3: train yourself to write in 45 minutes (you need it anyways for paper 2) and you have a full 5 minutes more to plan an essay in paper 3, for each! And you should not need 5 so youll still have more time than for paper 2 essays.

Lastly, in general Cynthia's tip on doing easy essays last makes sense, and the point with converting extra time to extra info is good. On the other hand, if you dont need 45 minutes for a "hard" topic, youve probably done something wrong :) While writing, since our teacher misprepared us to the extreme on the topics I had to chose from rather strange questions on paper 3; and I found it very helpful to the essay on which I had the most pre-prepared structure first, just for warming you up.

PS: for the HI, something I realised: procrastination in itself is never good. But I did mine veeery early and regretted it alot, because my writing style, simply through more practice as I came closer to the exams, improved exponentially. So find a topic, do your reasearch early. But consider writing after you have some experience. (same goes for any EEs)

Edited by Konni93
  • Like 6

• 11 months later...

HL History here... I've got a predicted 7. I realize that a lot of people hate to sit and take notes and I happen to be one of them. XD Instead, after each lesson I would buy some notecards and then one one side of the notecard I would write a question regarding what we did that lesson and on the back I would write my answer...

So, for example:

Front: When did German unification take place?

Back: 1871

After a while I actually started finding my notecards rather fun to do and even made them into a mini Who Wants to be a Millionaire trivia and started giving them stars based on difficulty levels on a scale of 1-10. XD

So, a question like "When did WWII start?" would be 1 star, whereas "Describe Germany's role in the Spanish Civil War" would be a 9 or 10. (:

• Like 6

• 1 year later...

Can I also say, don't leave all your revising to the last minute! In my end of year exams I hadn't revised the first topic we learnt at the start of the year (Weimar) since then, and as a result I had to re-learn almost everything. If you keep revising throughout the year, so using your flashcards or re-reading your notes once in a while, that definitely works out to your advantage and leaves a lot less stress during the actual exam. Just a thought!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have a huge problem - English is my second language and lately my essay writing skills have just sunk. I want to be able to write a good paper and write a decent thesis statement. Can someone please upload a paper so that I can see an example. I am currently on a five and I would like to pull up my grade because I love history, with a passion and I wish I was able to write better in my paper 2. :)

• 1 year later...
Hi,

i've uploaded my notes and summaries for History and Economics for IB and A-Level examinations here:

Among other topics, you'll find:

• The Arab-Israeli Conflict
  • The origins of the Cold War
  • Revolution in Cuba
  • Dètente between East and West (1962-1975)
  • The “Second Cold War†Renewed Tension Between East and West, 1975-1984
  • Vietnam - USA Containment in the Southeast Pacific
  • Fall of USSR (Part 1) - Gorbachev and the end of communist rule
  • Fall of USSR (Part 2) - The collapse of the USSR and the end of communist rule
  • The Sino-Soviet Split: origins and main features.
  • China - Reforms and Modernization After Mao
  • ECONOMICS: Government macroeconomic policy objectives and indicators of national economic performance

Hope you find them useful

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Something that's been really helping me is using various types of sources to study. Obviously notes from class are extremely important, but since there isn't enough time to cover everything in class and go into full detail about everything, I like to use my class notes as an outline for what I need to look into more.

Our teacher suggests many readings/books to look at, and along with these I like to find videos, primary sources, etc. to reinforce ideas. Youtube videos, can be amazing when you just can't make yourself read anymore, and audio books/podcasts (ex. Voices of WW1 or Dan Carlin's Hardcore History) are extremely helpful when you're too tired to read, or cleaning/driving/etc.

Also, I have found that rather than creating notes in a linear fashion, making theme based notes helps me come with connections between perspectives and coherent analyses of a topic. A great way to do this is with a mind-map (digital or hand-drawn, I like GoConqr.com)!

Edited by talka37
adding another idea

On 2012-05-02 at 6:00 PM, Where Love Died Laughing said:

HL History here... I've got a predicted 7. I realize that a lot of people hate to sit and take notes and I happen to be one of them. XD Instead, after each lesson I would buy some notecards and then one one side of the notecard I would write a question regarding what we did that lesson and on the back I would write my answer...

So, for example:

Front: When did German unification take place?

Back: 1871

After a while I actually started finding my notecards rather fun to do and even made them into a mini Who Wants to be a Millionaire trivia and started giving them stars based on difficulty levels on a scale of 1-10. XD

So, a question like "When did WWII start?" would be 1 star, whereas "Describe Germany's role in the Spanish Civil War" would be a 9 or 10. (:

I agree with this idea, and handwriting notes/note cards is a great way to study. For anyone who prefers having their resources compiled digitally, I like using Brainscape as an application for creating flashcards that you can access on your computer or phone (even with an offline option), for studying on the go! There are lots of other apps like this too, I've heard some of my friends use Anki.

• Like 1