Sign in to follow this  

Getting into a US university as an International IB student

Alright, so my ambition is it to go get accepted and go to a good US university. I am an International student in Poland and I haven't taken any SAT tests yet (I have tested myself 2 weeks ago and I got an overall 1550 - not good so i'll work on it more). I've been hearing all sorts of advantages about being International from fellow students and from a career advisor. But from my current American university research I feel quite negative about my ambition for the following reasons:

• A lot of universities (including University of Florida) don't give International students a scholarship, and if they do, then it is rather competitive
  • My school doesn't give GPA scores which all american universitites want
  • I get the impression that to get financial aid you have to be either super-poor&super-smart or super rich, and I am currently at 29 IB points with an A in TOK and my parents have average or a bit above average incomes and we are 5 people in a family and my parents simply don't want to pay for any university because I could go to a uni in the UK and simply take out a loan
  • I can't do the PSAT/NMSQT because i'm not American (grr)
  • Out-of-state must pay more than in-state students which further burdens me
  • Most of these international students are nerds who will probably get a higher score than me, so I have to compete against them... somehow
  • I can't do easy AP exams (for possible extra credit) since im in Europe
  • I don't know how to get a scholarship (i checked out www.fastweb.com but they give me a whole list of little (500 to 2000 dollars most of them) scholarship programmes and most of them are dodgy or reserved for Americans and are very competitive I think
  • I heared that International students are subject to harsher admission criterions than American students

I want to go to good universities such as the Ivy League ones or NYU or Florida University but I would need a scholarship to finance these. I don't see any advantages of being International, correct me if i'm wrong. Should I give up?

Alright, so my ambition is it to go get accepted and go to a good US university. I am an International student in Poland and I haven't taken any SAT tests yet (I have tested myself 2 weeks ago and I got an overall 1550 - not good so i'll work on it more). I've been hearing all sorts of advantages about being International from fellow students and from a career advisor. But from my current American university research I feel quite negative about my ambition for the following reasons:

• A lot of universities (including University of Florida) don't give International students a scholarship, and if they do, then it is rather competitive
  • I get the impression that to get financial aid you have to be either super-poor&super-smart or super rich, and I am currently at 29 IB points with an A in TOK and my parents have average or a bit above average incomes and we are 5 people in a family and my parents simply don't want to pay for any university because I could go to a uni in the UK and simply take out a loan
  • Most of these international students are nerds who will probably get a higher score than me, so I have to compete against them... somehow
  • I don't know how to get a scholarship (i checked out www.fastweb.com but they give me a whole list of little (500 to 2000 dollars most of them) scholarship programmes and most of them are dodgy or reserved for Americans and are very competitive I think
  • I heared that International students are subject to harsher admission criterions than American students

I want to go to good universities such as the Ivy League ones or NYU or Florida University but I would need a scholarship to finance these. I don't see any advantages of being International, correct me if i'm wrong. Should I give up?

yo could still try.... aboo just told me about being international and fast web... it is mostly for american sudents

some school will... btu the good ones are always competive... in the states IB doesn't really give you much of an advantage
    there is a way to calculate ur GPA... you might be able to find it on google... my college offer a "GPA calutor" on thier webite... PM and i wil find it if you want
    not true... a lot of scholarships are base on finacal need... which most students will have.... idk if the US govn't has something for int'l students but i have heared something about it you'd have to look it up. google should be able to tell you.
    it sucked anyways... it only helps with certain scholarships.... they should take into consideration you not being abole to take it
    well if you are looking at private there is no in-state out-of-state... but if you are refering to UF there are ways to get the out of state fee wavied if you search thier website... i think it is another application, but idk coz i never had to worry about that.
    you will have to compete yes... but if you are in IB you are pretty smart to begin with.... you should be fin. US Unis LOVE ECs though... they want to see a demonstarion of leadership though.... so you'd want t be an officer in a club.... good to be dedicated to a few then be a nobaody in a ton.
    i don't know that, but most US Unis (excluding IVYs.... they are not so generous) give college credit for IB depending on your score
    there are some other websites you can look at.... bascically go to google and seach scholarships or college scholorships and so on
    i wouldn't doubt it for a second... they do the same between instate and out-of-state students as well... you just have to show them your best side, and make them want you.

good luck.... i think you should try if you really want to come here.

Edited by IBStuck

You've got a lot of help from IBStuck.

My friend, who is a semi pro Golfer, is going to get a full scholarship in a uni, I think he said it was Clayton State in Georgia. You can perhaps score a scholarship in some unis, but you're have to be a great student to do that.

Well I am going to Baylor and I know this is coming a little late but when I submitted to the college they based their decision on my rank in school and my SAT scores if you do early or late admission they will actually give you a scholarship based on your SAT scores. My scores were not that great and I still for a good scholarship so you just have to look for schools that are willing to do something like that. Most the American schools have websites so just check in on your favorite ones and see what you can find.

Well I am going to Baylor and I know this is coming a little late but when I submitted to the college they based their decision on my rank in school and my SAT scores if you do early or late admission they will actually give you a scholarship based on your SAT scores. My scores were not that great and I still for a good scholarship so you just have to look for schools that are willing to do something like that. Most the American schools have websites so just check in on your favorite ones and see what you can find.

Based on your SAT I? Does that apply for SAT II aswell?

Mark,you could do AP exams online not sure through which websites but i know somebody who did them online and they count just ths same

Wow really? I'll definitely consider it -´I had a quick look at some AP exams; they're nothing compared to IB exams ! Thx >.<

Hmm, 29 points?

You're going to need to work on that.

Most unis would definitely want more and you need to think about the people who are also applying for these scholarships as well. They are going to be top notch, so you need to be too.

Hmm, 29 points?

You're going to need to work on that.

Most unis would definitely want more and you need to think about the people who are also applying for these scholarships as well. They are going to be top notch, so you need to be too.

I got 30/42 points in the end for my mid-year report. But yeah, I will work on that, thanks

* A lot of universities (including University of Florida) don't give International students a scholarship, and if they do, then it is rather competitive

Only sports scholarships. some have merit, which are based on your academic results. (not the ivy leagues schools though) Usually to get merit scholarship you have to have a gpa above 3.5, SAT over 2100.

* My school doesn't give GPA scores which all american universitites want

You just need to send the unis your school transcript. they will calculate for you.

* I get the impression that to get financial aid you have to be either super-poor&super-smart or super rich, and I am currently at 29 IB points with an A in TOK and my parents have average or a bit above average incomes and we are 5 people in a family and my parents simply don't want to pay for any university because I could go to a uni in the UK and simply take out a loan

like ibstuck said a lot of scholarships are based on need. however, you must get accepted into the uni first, which is the hard bit. If you get accepted at any ivy league school, you don't need to worry about finance. :D

* I can't do the PSAT/NMSQT because i'm not American (grr)

I did it and I wasn't from US. Don't worry about it, it doesn't matter much in uni admissions.

* Out-of-state must pay more than in-state students which further burdens me

money is always a problem

* Most of these international students are nerds who will probably get a higher score than me, so I have to compete against them... somehow

thats true. I would tell you the reality but it might be a big blow... Not only do they have higher scores, they have better ECs as well, some have travelled to various parts of the world like Africa and built schools, and they still get rejected from ivy leagues...

* I can't do easy AP exams (for possible extra credit) since im in Europe

IB is equivalent to AP. Most unis accept IB.

* I don't know how to get a scholarship (i checked out www.fastweb.com but they give me a whole list of little (500 to 2000 dollars most of them) scholarship programmes and most of them are dodgy or reserved for Americans and are very competitive I think

those ways of obtaining scholarships dont work. try your government.

* I heared that International students are subject to harsher admission criterions than American students

Yes that's true. however u need to know that they would love to have someone in their uni representing poland. therefore they will choose 1 from poland even if the student's academic stats are below average. however they would only choose 1. so u are competing with all the people in poland.

Good luck.

I live in florida, and most of the people around here push the students to stay in-state for school, making UF pretty much the top choice for most IB students.

Though I can't help you with price or how they deal with international students, I can tell you that getting in (to UF at least) may not be as hard as you think

Most american schools don't look too closely at IB (or AP for that matter) scores because they don't come back in time for acceptance letters.

AND according to what everyone around here says, just being an IB student is enough to get in to UF. However this could be because of simply being in state students, but i've yet to hear of an IB studnet from my school who DIDN'T get into UF. and we certainly aren't the type of school where most students get sixes and sevens on tests. (only 75% end up with the diploma at all)

don't know how much that information helps, but certainly don't give up on trying!