US Unis and your GPA

IBStuck

Is it only the predicted grade the us unis look for? or the whole quarter and semester grades too??

US unis want your high school/secondary school/college grades. So you'll be sending all of your grades from when you started high school (or the equivalent in your country). If your school also assigns predicted grades, you'd send those as well.

• 7 months later...

How important is the GPA? And Is it possible to increase your gpa in 6 months in your senior year before you apply to universities in the states?

GPA is important and you should aim to keep it as high as possible. However, don't fill up your schedule with all easy classes to give yourself a high GPA. US universities often recalculate your GPA (since it's not standard anywhere, and each school can have its own grading scale and GPA system) based on that particular university's way of doing it. If they see you've taken all easy classes and have a high GPA (a few here and there is fine), it won't look as good as someone who's taken consistently harder classes with a slightly lower GPA. And yes, it is possible to raise your GPA. Probably like from a 2.4 to a 3.9 isn't very likely, but going from a 3.0 to a 3.3 is possible if you do very well in the end.

• 5 months later...

To anyone who's applying to America, honestly I'd suggest not doing the IB at all(especially the difficult courses)It consumes time needed to study for SAT etc and lowers GPA fatally. GPA is quite important if you're going to apply to US. Being an IB drop out also looks bad. Speaking from personal experience, IB has hampered many people's lives in my school who wanted to apply to USA. My GPA used to be 5.0 , I'm now at IB1 and my GPA this year is 3.7. Not a problem for me through since I'm applying to UK or anywhere else in EU.

To anyone who's applying to America, honestly I'd suggest not doing the IB at all(especially the difficult courses)It consumes time needed to study for SAT etc and lowers GPA fatally. GPA is quite important if you're going to apply to US. Being an IB drop out also looks bad. Speaking from personal experience, IB has hampered many people's lives in my school who wanted to apply to USA. My GPA used to be 5.0 , I'm now at IB1 and my GPA this year is 3.7. Not a problem for me through since I'm applying to UK or anywhere else in EU.

I did the IB and got into US unis just fine. :confused:

It might depend how they calculate the GPA through.

How do you mean?

How do you mean?

In my school, IB's and Non-IB's GPA's are calculated the same way and everyone is compared even through they take very different courses. Also, my school doesn't do bell curves. We get exams exactly the same as the IB exams and the grade out of 100 is calculated for the GPA. We don't have any weighted GPA's either. We have to stick to Turkish Educational System's restrictions which makes it hard to attain a good grade while doing the IB but I heard that IB classes lower GPA's worldwide.

In my school, IB's and Non-IB's GPA's are calculated the same way and everyone is compared even through they take very different courses. Also, my school doesn't do bell curves. We get exams exactly the same as the IB exams and the grade out of 100 is calculated for the GPA. We don't have any weighted GPA's either. We have to stick to Turkish Educational System's restrictions which makes it hard to attain a good grade while doing the IB but I heard that IB classes lower GPA's worldwide.

It only lowers your GPA if you do poorly in the class. I had no problems with the IB hurting my GPA. Unweighted, my GPA when I finished was a 3.85 out of 4 taking primarily IB classes. IB and non-IB students' GPA were calculated the same way at my school too. An A was 4.0 GPA points regardless of the class, and so forth. Being in IB doesn't get you any grade consideration privileges, and shouldn't really. We got a little bit of a weight added, but it wasn't a ton. When you go to apply to universities you send your transcript (which has all your grades on it) as well as your school's grading scale so they can see how grades were given out. This is because there is no standard. At a school in my city's district up until 2011 to get an A in a class you had to get 94/100 in the class, and there were no A-'s, B+'s, etc. while in the next city over they had these modified grades and to get an A you needed a 90/100. We also used a 4.0 grading scale, but some people use 5.0s, and I've even heard of things like a 7.0 scale.

The university takes all of your submitted grades and recalculates your GPA them using THEIR formula to take into account that a high GPA in very easy classes where the student could have taken harder ones but simply didn't is not necessarily better than a SLIGHTLY lower GPA in more rigorous classes. This way there is a standard they can use to admit/deny students when you have applicants from all over the country and all over the world using different systems.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

How can you have GPA if you are doing IB?

does 7 = A

6 = B

5= C ...etc?

I don't really know how to it goes, 

but in our school a Level 7 is 70 and above, so the grades you're expected to get is from the Ranges A to C, and they see where do you stand exactly in the 7, are you in your 80s? Then good. You get a B. 90s? An A does the work. 70? You get a C.

Whereas a level 6 stands for a D.

5 - 4 = E

3 and below = F