One .gif to make you wonder

Abu

• 2 weeks later...
we are so small compared to other suns and the rest of the galaxy/ universe. whoa. That is really cool.

Wow, we agree on something. :coffee:

I am astounded by the depths of the galaxy and universe, and I wonder how we can seem so important and so insignificant at the same time.

This reminds me of the work by some ancient guy (gosh I need to get some sleep, my memory is going to be gone soon!) that compared humans to reeds in their fragility...

Ah, I remember, it was Blaise Pascal's "Thoughts". A very interesting read. :D

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow, that clip really puts life into perspective doesn't it? Hah, I think I'm going to remind myself of this clip whenever I throw a fit about something that is insignificant.

It also makes you wonder about what else is out there, doesn't it? We can't possibly be the only "intelligent life forms" out there.

It really is amazing to think just how small we are. I don't think anyone can truely comprehend just how big the universe is though. Our minds just cant grasp the reality.

It makes you think though. There must be so much out there that we don't know about. We really are just an insignificant spec when compared to the vast scale of the galaxy.

Thanks for the visual representation. It never ceases to amaze me.

-soph x

nb: there really could be life in outer space.....?

Oh and just quickly my thoughts on the religion thing. If the universe really is that big, then wouldn't it make sense that there is something else out there that is a whole lot bigger, like a grand designer or something. Especially if it turns out that there is no other life except us out there. How incredibly awsome is it that there is a whole entire universe out there for tiny little insignificant things like us to marvel at and enjoy.

Again, just my thoughts. Feel free to agree or disagree.

Edited by schouston1991

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow, that just kept going.

I kept going on with my oohs and ahhs, and it never seemed to end!

Much of my friends make fun of how short and small I am already...

I stand at 5'1 thank you very much,

and this .gif only makes me feel that much more insignificant...

and not to mention uber tiny

*sigh...

But I found it very interesting and just funny as it kept going and going and at the painfully slow pace as well :)

Well... there's a possibility that this tiny spec in the whole universe is the only place that has life, and that we are utterly alone... *spooky hand motions*

There's also the possibility that somewhere out there, there are other conscious entities, that are probably thinking this exact same question *more spooky hand motions*

Best part is that I get the spooky hand motions no matter which way it swings :)

Anyways, instead of feeling insignificant, we should think about how much better we are than any given chunk of space with the same approximate dimensions as the earth!

:) so true.

And yeah, that's pretty insane... there's just so much out there.

It sorta makes you wonder if there is life on other planets.

I mean, I dunno where I stand on that but is it possible that we're the only living beings in such a MASSIVE universe?

Mind blowing really.

Same thing I was thinking when I was watching this.

Earth is also a really young planet.

Why can't we find other life?

Is it possible that we don't have the right senses to sense them or that they don't have the right senses to sense us? (lol, a little TOK-ish)